Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Do beer drinkers eat sushi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We used to make Sushimi on the boat coming in... Not really just finely cut fresh tuna, soy, & wasabi... either way it was good!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

<EAC>
I think the only thing holding me back from doing my own sushi/sashimi is finding the quality fish. Granted, I've never really tried that hard to look, but still.

I'm up for any type of sushi/sashimi. I don't bother with the California rolls, because, well, I'm looking to eat fish. I'm always up for trying new fish I've never had. A little while ago I was in SoHO for my wife's friend's birthday and they found a place that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. After we had our meal, we asked the waiter to bring out some chef selections (basically stuff the average bear wouldn't eat). So we tried (raw, thinly sliced) scallop, monkfish and a few other things. Normally I hit up Mahzu in Aberdeen (for the locals).
</EAC>

Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Good luck preparing your own blowfish guys! Last man standing is the winner!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Have a look at my gallery. I make it at least once a month if not more.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
ive tried making it a few times, none of which were too successful. the two main problems i encounter are the rice sticking to everything and making a mess and the wasabi bought at stores sucking. ive tried both the paste in a tube and the powder you reconstitute but both are made from american horseradish instead of japanese wasabi. its a completely different flavor. where do you guys get good wasabi?
There is an online vendor out of Oregon (iirc) that will ship fresh Rhizomes. That being said 'Wasabi' in just about any Sushi restaurant (at least here in the States) is Horseradish powder with green coloring. Sushi is all about the rice, for Maki and Nigiri. The way they apply the rice to the Nori is to have the hands wet with water mixed with Sushi-Su (Sushi vinegar), they clap them together dispelling the excess water and in one swift motion cover the Nori.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I experiment with cooked items like Tamago, Unagi and some other fishes very lightly broiled or dipped in hot water (makes a really cool effect when cut). It's the best I can do without living on a seaport. You can get some fairly good frozen fish (actually whole Tuna sold in Japan on the markets is frozen solid, I saw it on tv once and was like...wth?) for Sushi. Of course nothing would beat pulling one out of the ocean! I get creative with a lot of items, of course traditionalists like those making Edo style would probably scream at me...but I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have made much more so than any local place.

Also there are things like seasoned Mackerel that is nice. I have used whole Mackerel, you can often get that one fresh enough.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #17
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Eat sushi? You bet. There are even a couple of places in Denver with good sushi, which is a trick considering that we're 1000 miles from the nearest ocean.

Make it? No thanks. However, we do eat sushi rice fairly regularly. IMO, it's better than regular long-grain for just about everything.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I've been attempting to make it a few times this summer...I haven't come close to making a perfect roll yet, but it is fun...and even ugly sushi taste great!!!

I got this kit for like $5.00 on sale at Barnes and Nobel's

The DVD and book are great little primers on getting started...

Sushi goes great with a hoppy IPA...The hoppiness cuts through the wasabi nicely.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

SWMBO and I make maki sushi about once a month. She's not the adventurous eater, sticking with tuna and California rolls. Me on the other hand? Bring it on!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've made Make (rolls) plenty of times.

Get shortgrain sushi rice at an asian grocer instead of paying $10 for a 2 pound bag at the regular grocery store. If you don't live near a fresh fish market on a coast, I think the safest fish to buy is the tuna or salmon that comes in individually vac packed bags that are flash frozen right at the processor. I talked to the sushi chefs in a few places and a lot of them use these. I've never gotten even a little sick using these. If you're really worried, you could pan sear to reduce risk.

Don't forget that the rice needs to be seasoned with a rice wine vinegar and sweetened. You can buy premixed sushi seasoning vinager.

I like doing the rice-outside on all my rolls just like the Cali roll. You basically cut the nori sheets in half, dip your hands in water and carefully spread rice all over the sheet. Flip it over, fill with fish, avacado slices, thinly sliced carrots and cucumber, wasabi, etc and roll it tight. In order to do rice outside, you'll want to wrap your bamboo mat in some plastic wrap for easy release.

I recently found a recipe for a good tempura batter and have been making tempura shrimp rolls. I also messed around with making spicy tuna by putting the tuna, mayo, and chili pepper sauce into a food processor.

My mouth is watering now.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply