The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Do beer drinkers eat sushi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Do beer drinkers eat sushi?

Actually, my real question is, have any of you ever made your own sushi? I wonder if it is at all worthwhile to do. By the time you buy all the ingredients, especially the sushi-quality seafood, I wonder if a person would just be better off just going out to a restaurant to get it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are a foody or a chef and really love food then make your own. I have done it twice. It was hours and hours of painstaking prep work for vegetables and slicing of veges and seafood.

It was so worth it. By far the single most satisfying, home made meal I have ever had.!!!

I made some of my own creations. Mahi Mahi with rice and seaweed. a sliver of cucumber on top. and a drisle of chili oil on top. OMG so good.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts

Fine Sushi is like Fine....Well....I guess If I made it at home I could heat up a skillet, mix up some beer batter and fry that **** into something good.

I suppose this is just like the beer thread....It's not about the cost...it's about the pleasure and pride.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Doubt you'd save much money. You might, but I can't see that being the motivation behind it.

You'd do it for the same reason you make beer; it's an interesting process, there's a lot of interesting history and tradition behind it, and it expands your depth of understanding of the product (beer/sushi) since you have a greater understanding of what goes into it.

I've made it a few times, not enough to be any good at it. If I do it again, it'll be just as an excuse to buy a pretty new knife. Right now, it's tough because I'm fairly lacking in having a good fishmonger/market; it was great for my cooking overall when I lived near a Whole Foods, but right now just getting my hands on sushi-grade seafood would be a bit of a challenge.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
right now just getting my hands on sushi-grade seafood would be a bit of a challenge.
HA! Come to Colorful Colorado. Rocky Mountain Oysters are as close to fresh Seafood as we get.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When it comes to sushi I am an absolute EAC. Give me the AAA best every time or no sushi at all.

It is unlikely that I would try to do it at home. Preparation is one thing, but getting the high quality fish is nearly impossible for the average joe. Your local supermarket doesn't sell it. Most fish markets don't carry it, or if they do, they only offer one or two varieties.

Besides, after a few sakes, I might slice off one of my fingertips with those sharp-assed knives.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
mcaustin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My wife and I go to one of the local Asian markets every few months and buy stuff to make our own sushi rolls. Usually sashimi grade tuna, salmon, unagi, but last time we added some albacore too (just depends on what we see that looks interesting).

We definitely go out for sushi more than making it, but it's fun to do every now and then since you can make any kind of roll that you feel like and can think up.

Sushi is great, and I could likely eat it every other day (alternated with burritos).

Stubby Muzzle Brewing Pic Gallery

In the shoot: Mcaustin's Stout
On Tap: Warm AK Nights Barleywine

Posted Recipes: Mocha Stout, Bosco's Dry Hopped Black IPA

Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's possible to save a fair amount of money making your own, provided you do it enough that the minor initial outlay is recouped (and that you would have bought that much sushi in the first place). "How easy is it," you ask? Well, my 5-year-old sister can make maki-sushi, and nigiri-sushi is even simpler. As for speed, I've never experienced "hours of painstaking prep". Prepping ingredients for a considerable amount of sushi shouldn't take more than half an hour-maybe an hour if you're doing it for the first time.

An important distinction to note: "sushi" refers to the rice; while raw seafood can be used as a (delicious!) component, it's not mandatory. The California roll is probably the most popular form of maki-sushi in the US, and it consists of avocado, cucumber, and crab meat (often imitation). Vegetarian rolls are also popular. Personally, I often use ham, beef, or lamb.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ive tried making it a few times, none of which were too successful. the two main problems i encounter are the rice sticking to everything and making a mess and the wasabi bought at stores sucking. ive tried both the paste in a tube and the powder you reconstitute but both are made from american horseradish instead of japanese wasabi. its a completely different flavor. where do you guys get good wasabi?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply