Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Did I make malt vinegar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Anbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I make malt vinegar?

I recently cracked up an old belgian white I made months ago, as I opened it...I realized it was improperly capped (no hiss, it came off very easily).

I took a drink and...uh...tasted like pure vinegar! Has this ever happened to you?

I think I'm going to use it to make a dressing/marinade of some sort. I guess some mother of vinegar just happened to propogate in this improperly sealed brew?

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

according to wikipedia: Malt vinegar is made by malting barley, causing the starch in the grain to turn to maltose. Then an ale is brewed from the maltose and allowed to turn into vinegar, which is then aged

Havent had this happen to me personally but ill never say never. You basically did what a vinager producer would only by accident. Any other bottles spoil?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

WTF? Now I know wikipedia isn't always right, but come on! Someone's been smoking the cockmonkey before editing articles. wiki also says vinegar is made by oxidation. No. no no no NO NO NO. It is a bacterial process that converts alcohol to vinegar.

If it only happened in that one bottle, to me it sounds like fruit flies got into it. Acetobacter live on the bodies of fruit flies, and just one getting into any alcoholic beverage (or carboy) can ruin the entire thing.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
WTF? Now I know wikipedia isn't always right, but come on! Someone's been smoking the cockmonkey before editing articles. wiki also says vinegar is made by oxidation. No. no no no NO NO NO. It is a bacterial process that converts alcohol to vinegar.

If it only happened in that one bottle, to me it sounds like fruit flies got into it. Acetobacter live on the bodies of fruit flies, and just one getting into any alcoholic beverage (or carboy) can ruin the entire thing.
OR, you have a lacto bacterial infection. Lacto infections are common, and makes the beer taste sour but not as "harsh" as vinegar. Think sour milk-ish.

ETJ is right- acetero bacter cause vinegar by infecting the beer. Most commonly it's caused by fruit flies. Lacto infection is a different infection, caused by different bacteria, but it also makes it taste sour.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post

It is oxidation in the chemical reaction sense not in the "beer oxidizing" sense. The acetobactor (or brett) will oxidize the ethanol into acetic acid.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You'll know an acetic infection. It is sharp and clean, unlike lacto which is more relaxed and mellow. You can probably save that and use it as a mother if you like, there should be evidence of the growth in the beer. It will often form a jelly like cap on or near the surface. Be careful and don't use any of your brew equipment on it (just to stay on the safe side).

If you let it continue to live, then the pH will continue to drop so be careful. It won't be like your supermarket vinegar which is diluted. That will take some time though.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Anbrew
Recipes 

Very intersting information guys. Yeah it's just this bottle, the cap was barely even on it.

This is definitely a clean and sharp taste. There are some black specs on the bottom of the cap too.

The fruit fly thing has got me terrified. If just one of those buggers touch your wort the whole thing could be infected? They often hover above my airlocks

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbrew View Post
If just one of those buggers touch your wort the whole thing could be infected? They often hover above my airlocks
In a word, yes. All the more reason to keep your airlocks full.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply