Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Deep Fryer recommedations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
A cast iron dutch oven. As best as I can tell the problem is the burner doesn't respond anywhere near as fast as I would like (compared to a gas burner).
Make sure you have enough headspace, if you're getting too hot you can add more oil that will cool down the oil temperature quickly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Do you have something similar to this one?
http://www.sears.com/presto-stainles...1&blockType=G1
It's a larger model, Presto 05466 from Amazon.com purchased some time last year. Looks like the same controls though.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
I've tried using my stove top and the temperature control is terrible with an electric burner. The problem is I end up overshooting my target temperature when adding food to the mix. Unless I can come up with a reliable way to prevent this overshoot all I'm ending up with is overcooked on the outside and undercooked inside...
Sounds like you have the burner turned up too high. Heat it up slower and it shouldn't keep climbing as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
Make sure you have enough headspace, if you're getting too hot you can add more oil that will cool down the oil temperature quickly.
This too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
That's a great idea. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Sounds like you have the burner turned up too high. Heat it up slower and it shouldn't keep climbing as much.
The problem isn't the initial heating. I can get to whatever temp I want with little difficulty. The issue is the recovery period after adding food to the oil. I have to bump up the heat on the burner to maintain the heat. Maybe I'm being too anal about it, but everyone seem to stress make sure you keep the oil temp high enough or you get greasy food.

How long is too long for the recovery time of the oil temp? The only deep drying I had done in the past was with a gas range at my parents house and I never had this problem because the flame immediately responds to the temp input whereas the electric burner stays hot for some period of time.

For every other cooking method, I have no problem moving the pot off the burner to let it cool for a minute, but I really don't want to be moving a pot of hot oil around...

Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
The problem isn't the initial heating. I can get to whatever temp I want with little difficulty. The issue is the recovery period after adding food to the oil. I have to bump up the heat on the burner to maintain the heat. Maybe I'm being too anal about it, but everyone seem to stress make sure you keep the oil temp high enough or you get greasy food.

How long is too long for the recovery time of the oil temp? The only deep drying I had done in the past was with a gas range at my parents house and I never had this problem because the flame immediately responds to the temp input whereas the electric burner stays hot for some period of time.

For every other cooking method, I have no problem moving the pot off the burner to let it cool for a minute, but I really don't want to be moving a pot of hot oil around...
I use an electrical burner and there is absolutely a difference. I dont' think it's massive but there sure is one.

As far as recovery goes, I usually just leave it. if it takes 10 seconds longer to bounce back then so what. Or you can keep playing. I'm sure there's a way you can bump the heat up and then walk it back before hitting the perfect temp.

Honestly I'm a touch of a crazy person when it comes to frying, no thermometers, everything I do is based on look and smell. But I've yet to have a real issue with anything. Everyone loves my fries, chicken, etc.

Another thing you can try doing is using less food in the fryer at once. That will cause less of a drop i ntemp so you should have to do less playing.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

How about setting the heat once and not touching it again. If your cook-top over shoots temp, you could use a bigger heavy cast iron pan with more oil; then get that oil up to temp and keep it there. The idea being the thermal mass is so great, the slight temp drop from the food entering the oil will not change the temperature much. For example, set your stove to medium heat then let it heat up for 30 min and see what the temp is, if it's 375 after 1/2hr and leveled out, your heat will not be touched for the rest of the frying. The bigger heavy pan filled with more oil with greater thermal mass will maintain the heat as you add the food.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
The idea being the thermal mass is so great, the slight temp drop from the food entering the oil will not change the temperature much. For example, set your stove to medium heat then let it heat up for 30 min and see what the temp is, if it's 375 after 1/2hr and leveled out, your heat will not be touched for the rest of the frying. The bigger heavy pan filled with more oil with greater thermal mass will maintain the heat as you add the food.
That's a great idea. I'll give this a shot next time and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply