Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Dashi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2994 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
No, I do DVR it but only get around to watching some of them. I was eating tempura fried vegetables and loved the dipping sauce and did a bit of googling...

Now I'm gonna check the DVR tonight to see which recent episode mentioned it.
I think it was 2 weeks ago. The entire episode was dedicated to "umami".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've been a big "fan" of umami for a few years now. And have somewhat even talked about how it relates to brewing on occasion.

But I have found this to be the Uber website on the topic, http://www.umamiinfo.com/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Good link Revvy. I'll check the grocery again but if not there it might be easier for me to just order this stuff online...or marry a Japanese woman.

Looks like learning Japanese cooking is like learning a whole new language. But they somehow make foods that I normally don't like taste awesome.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Looks like learning Japanese cooking is like learning a whole new language. But they somehow make foods that I normally don't like taste awesome.
Yeah, well there are still some aspects of Japanese Cuisine that frankly scares the bejeebus out of me.

I'm just re-reading Anthony Bourdain's "A cooks tour" and I just finished the section on Japan, especially him trying to stomach their idea of breakfast.

If you haven't seen them Youtube has both the "No Reservations" and "A cook's Tour" Japan segments. They are really interesting.

Here's the part ones of both;

The breakfast is on part two of this video series.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I must have stood at the ethnic/asian food section of the grocery for 10 minutes looking and there is no 'instant' dashi or the stuff to make it. It's mostly premade sauces but they did have one brand of mirin hidden in there so I got that, some ponzu, fresh ginger and cobbled some sort of asiany/chickeny thing together. Between that and the Jasmine rice the kitchen had an awesome, 'new' aroma last night. Ordered dashi online.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #16
Tsuyako
Recipes 

I will be the first to admit to being a Good Eats fan and since one of his latest episodes was on making dashi I thought I'd post the recipe. I am actually allergic to MSG so 'instant' dashi is out of the question. This recipe now makes it possible for me to eat miso soup asuming that the miso is MSG free.

Dashi

Ingredients
2 (4-inch) square pieces kombu
2 1/2 quarts water
1/2-ounce bonito flakes or katsuobushi, about 2 cups
Directions
Put the kombu in a 4-quart saucepan, cover with the water and soak for 30 minutes.

Set the saucepan over medium heat until the water reaches 150 to 160 degrees F and small bubbles appear around the sides of the pan, 9 to 10 minutes.

Remove the kombu from the pan. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the bonito flakes. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.

Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer lined with muslin or several layers of cheesecloth. Reserve the bonito flakes for another use.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 1 week or freeze for up to a month.

If anyone is interested the episode is called "turning japanese"

Fermenter: Chinook IPA from NB
BB1: Empty
Carboy1: Empty
Carboy2: Empty

Bottled: Blood Orange Hefe, Ginger Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Spiced Ale

Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyako View Post
I will be the first to admit to being a Good Eats fan and since one of his latest episodes was on making dashi I thought I'd post the recipe. I am actually allergic to MSG so 'instant' dashi is out of the question. This recipe now makes it possible for me to eat miso soup asuming that the miso is MSG free.

Dashi

Ingredients
2 (4-inch) square pieces kombu
2 1/2 quarts water
1/2-ounce bonito flakes or katsuobushi, about 2 cups
Directions
Put the kombu in a 4-quart saucepan, cover with the water and soak for 30 minutes.

Set the saucepan over medium heat until the water reaches 150 to 160 degrees F and small bubbles appear around the sides of the pan, 9 to 10 minutes.

Remove the kombu from the pan. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the bonito flakes. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.

Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer lined with muslin or several layers of cheesecloth. Reserve the bonito flakes for another use.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 1 week or freeze for up to a month.

If anyone is interested the episode is called "turning japanese"
So basically it IS just seeweed and bonito flakes. That's pretty easy.

Thanks!!

Oh it looks like the episode may be on you tube...is this the one?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #18
Tsuyako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So basically it IS just seeweed and bonito flakes. That's pretty easy.

Thanks!!

Oh it looks like the episode may be on you tube...is this the one?
That's it Revvy! Thanks.

Carboy2: Empty

Bottled: Blood Orange Hefe, Ginger Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Spiced Ale

Last edited by Tsuyako; 11-30-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyako View Post
That's it Revvy! Thanks.
Thank you for mentioning it!!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #20
Tsuyako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Thank you for mentioning it!!!!
No problem! Here's part II.