Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Dare I ask... Tofu?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #31
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want easy tofu curry, find an ethnic shop and buy a jar or two of Patak brand curry paste. It comes in many flavors - my favorite is vindaloo but garahm masala, and just plain hot curry are all great. You can mix them as well.

1 block of firm tofu cut into small cubes (about 3/4 inch)
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
2 medium tomatoes chopped (or a can of chopped tomatoes)
about 1/3 jar of Patak curry paste of your choice

Fry the tofu and onions in a tablespoon or so of light oil until the tofu is a bit brown
Add the curry paste and mix it in so it coats everything and has a chance to cook for a minute
Add the tomatoes (including the juice) and mix well
Depending on the amount of tomato juice you may need to add some water - give the tomatoes a few mintues to cook down and see if there is enough liquid
Mix well and simmer for 15 - 30 minutes.

serve with basmati rice and if you can find kefir cheese (strained yogurt with the consistency of sour cream) it adds a nice balance and removes some of the heat.

Goes great with any beer but I like it with Weizenbocks - the malty fruity taste of the beer goes great with curry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
mikebowman
Recipes 

I love Patak's! Vindaloo is definitely my favorite, but the madras and hot curry are good too. I made something similar to this the other night. Fried the tofu, put it aside, fried peppers, onions, garlic, carrots for a few minutes, adde a boatload of spices and curry paste, dump in a can of coconut milk, some curry powder, then throw the tofu in. Give it a good stir, then simmer for a while. Served over rice, 'twas tasty!

Thanks for all the advice though! Great thread! Im inspired to buy more tofu just so I can try some of these!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The members here never fail to impress me, great beer recipes, fantastic cigar and liquor suggestions, so much more here than beer chuggin scruffs

I bet there are fantastic yet oddly manly-man quiche recipes out there too!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
The members here never fail to impress me, great beer recipes, fantastic cigar and liquor suggestions, so much more here than beer chuggin scruffs

I bet there are fantastic yet oddly manly-man quiche recipes out there too!
Well since this is a beer site, what's better than....Beer and Cheddar etc.. Quiche

With bacon no less.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 127

That looks like a fantastic recipe, thanks Revvy!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #36
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman View Post
I love Patak's! Vindaloo is definitely my favorite, but the madras and hot curry are good too. I made something similar to this the other night. Fried the tofu, put it aside, fried peppers, onions, garlic, carrots for a few minutes, adde a boatload of spices and curry paste, dump in a can of coconut milk, some curry powder, then throw the tofu in. Give it a good stir, then simmer for a while. Served over rice, 'twas tasty!

Thanks for all the advice though! Great thread! Im inspired to buy more tofu just so I can try some of these!
If you can still find it - they used to make a flavor called Kashmiri masala and it is down right NUCLEAR spicy (pun intended). I have not seen it around LA for several years now so I think it might have gone away but you never know.

Beer and curry are one of my favorite pairings. I have yet to find a beer that does not match well with it but darker maltier stuff or IPAs are my favorites with indian food. I don't really drink IPAs much otherwise.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patirck

If you can still find it - they used to make a flavor called Kashmiri masala and it is down right NUCLEAR spicy (pun intended). I have not seen it around LA for several years now so I think it might have gone away but you never know.

Beer and curry are one of my favorite pairings. I have yet to find a beer that does not match well with it but darker maltier stuff or IPAs are my favorites with indian food. I don't really drink IPAs much otherwise.
Hot damn that sounds tasty.

Yeah, I'm not a huge IPA person, but if I'm eating something spicy, I definitely grab the hoppiest beer in the fridge

Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Just stumbled upon this and had to add to it. I've been a vegetarian for almost twenty years and have always been an adventurous eater.

Have you ever frozen tofu? It becomes a sponge as the protein is denatured. The texture changes from mushy to spongy and it soaks up marinade like you would not believe.

Get some firm or extra firm tofu and stab the top of the package a few times. (This keeps the package from exploding when the water expands as it freezes.) Completely freeze and thaw the tofu and you'll be amazed.

Here's a taco recipe off the top of my head...

1 package frozen and thawed tofu - diced
4 tsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp peanut butter (chunky is best, but creamy will work)
Mash all this up in a bowl to the extent that the tofu is broken into little pieces and resembles cooked ground beef.

1 large diced onion
1 Tbsp diced garlic
1 diced jalapeno
1 Tbsp olive oil
Saute until onions are translucent.
Add tofu mix, 1 Tbsp chili powder, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp oregano
Saute about 2 minutes or until the tofu mix starts to stick to the bottom
Add a can of refried beans and heat thoroughly.

Spoon this mess into corn tortillas that have been warmed on a griddle and top with cheddar cheese. Add fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chiles, diced avocado, hot sauce, etc. to taste.

Quick Reply