Costco Pork Tenderloin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone do anything cool with pork tenderloin? I buy the costco tenderloin every 2 weeks because it's incredibly cheap and some of the softest, juciest meat ever. Typically we just grill on low heat with very little rubs or anything for 30-40 minutes. Outside is just crispy and inside is soft, moist, just barely at the point of minimum cooking through.

I'd like to change it up a bit, though, as I'm tiring of your basic plain pork tenderloin and mashed potato side.

Any good rubs or marinades?

1 part brown sugar
1 part salt
1 part cracked black pepper
.5 part ground coffee
onion/garlic powder, thyme or rosemary to taste.

wet wood chips on coals or in foil under the roast for the first 15 mins
then the roast in foil after it has a decent char to finish it off.

That's just how I usually do it-

Oh hell yes! Can you smoke it? I smoke in my gas grill, so you probably can.

Regardless, I have recipes but they are at home. My wife has one of Emeril's cookbooks and it has a recipe for essence that is awesome.

1 cup paprika
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme

Mix thoroughly and rub the whole mess on the tenderloin.

I reserve 1 tbsp or so, mix it with beer and inject it into the center, but it would come out good without this.

A digital probe thermometer is necessary too! Never over cooked.

They make great kabobs.

A little pineapple juice boiled down to a syrup along with some soy sauce & brown sugar...

Nice a caramelized. And the kabob cuts give you more of that great grilled surface.

2 12 oz tenderloins
2 tbls Dijon mustard
2 tbls fresh sage
2 tbls fresh thyme
1 tbls fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 cedar plank (properly soaked)

Brush pork with mustard, hit with salt and pepper, and mixture of the herbs. Put the tenderloins on the plank and grill on barbeque until temp hits 160f (probably 30 to 35 min at medium)

This is really simple, but really tasty.

Don't know about the smoking - I have just your average $100 prop grill from Home Depot. I want to buy one of those apartment living smokers I saw someone else has, but when I went to Kitchen & Co, they only had the Emeril one which is like twice the cost of any other item in the store, so I figured I would wait.

My house stove is electric, so that may or may not be a problem. We are going to buy a smoker once we move out of this townhouse, but that will be a while.

I'm going to start a thread on that subject...

jezter6 said:
Don't know about the smoking - I have just your average $100 prop grill from Home Depot.

I used to smoke my tri tips on one of those all the time, just put your wood chips in a foil envelope over the burner (on top of the drip shield if possible) under the grate. Another option is to buy a cast iron chip box ~$7) at HD or Lowes and use it like you would the foil envelopw. Experiment on where to put you meat (is there a right way to say that?) Try upper rack oposite side from the source of smoke to slow cook it if you want more smoke flavor etc.

The cedar plank is a little different than traditional smoking. You soak the cedar plank and place the meat directly on the plank and set the whole thing on the grill. Very simple with even the cheapest barbeque. You may need to move the plank to one side if it gets too hot from direct heat underneath and starts to catch fire.

Yeah, wood potentially catching fire inside the grill and burning the hell outta the meat - seems like a very scary way to smoke.

Nah, it's really easy to prevent - you just soak the board and keep it on the low heat side of the BBQ. You can even turn off the direct heat after a bit once the wood has charred. Cedar planked pork and salmon are the best. It's a flavour you don't get from smoking.

I know Costco carries the planks, and so do all major grocery stores. Usually in the fish section. Yo can also get maple planks which I'm going to try with some trout.

Sun-dried tomato and pesto stuffed.

Get oil packed SDT and put them in a food processor with pesto(or fresh basil, olive oil, sauteed garlic and toasted pine nuts), and about a cup of shredded fresh parmesan. I use 1/3 of the tenderloin, cut it in a roll with a sharp knife(like butterflying but more, I can't describe it properly) Put most of your filling in it, roll it up, tie it off with some kitchen twine, and sear in a cast iron pan, then put into a 350º oven until it's to temp inside. I served it with mushroom risotto, would probably pair better with SDT risotto, but it was excellent regardless. I made a balsamic vinaigrette with some of the leftover stuffing stuff and served it with baby greens and fresh homemade croutons.

It was epic.

If you're making it ahead of time, you can make the filling(and dressing) and stuff the pork, and cover it and put it in the fridge til you get home from work. THen sear and bake. The risotto can be done while it's in the oven, if you're using dried mushrooms, you can rehydrate them in some homemade chicken stock or white wine in the fridge while you're at work, and for the croutons, you can cut up the bread, oil, salt, and season it, then put it in the oven when the roast comes out and rests.

A cedar plank is an awesome way to cook things! I have only done seafood that way, though. It is fun to stand over the grill with a beer and pour a little on if an edge starts to catch.

I smoke on one end of my gas grill by starting a little bit of lump charcoal and putting soaked chips on it every so often. YES IN MY GAS GRILL. It may wear out a year or so sooner but so what?

I use my digital thermometer to monitor the pile of chips. If it goes over 220, I know that there is a flare up and I need to spray some water or beer or just some fresh wet chips.

I need to take a pic of that set up.

With the coals and chips on the far right, I put the meat on the far left. It works too well.

Always put a drip pan on top of the grill grate filled with beer or water. Put skewers or another grate above that to hold the meat. Keeps it nice and moist.

Oh yeah! If there is any breeze, make sure that the wind is blowing from the chips to the meat so that the smoke goes where it will do some good. Too much Fun!

mr x said:
I know Costco carries the planks, and so do all major grocery stores. Usually in the fish section. Yo can also get maple planks which I'm going to try with some trout.

You can also pick up untreated cedar from your local lumber yard - might even be a little cheaper.

capntang said:
You can also pick up untreated cedar from your local lumber yard - might even be a little cheaper.

We buy them for the restaurant I work at from Lowe's. $19 for a bundle, probably 100 or so. I have seen them for sale at kitchen shops, and specialty food stores for 5,6,7 dollars each. Much prettier, but not any more effective.

The tag on the bundle states that they are untreated, and can be used for cooking.

A simple baste for pork tenderloin is just honey and dijon mustard, half and half.
Cook the pork half way, then brush it on several times as it finishes. yum.

Get some good thick mediterranean yogurt - greek, turkish, etc. It will look more like the consistency of good heavy sour cream than watery Dannon stuff. If you stick a spoon it, it will stay where you put it.

Take 2 c. of the yogurt
7 cloves of finely diced garlic
3 tablespoons of fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon of fresh course ground black pepper
a generous pinch of salt

Mix that together and rub your pork loin down with it. Pop it in a pan and roast it on a rack t 400F for about 25 minutes.

While it's roasting, take a teaspoon of fresh rosemary, a 1/4 teaspoon of thyme, a couple of drops of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of sea salt. You can make more, just keep those proportions. Stir well and pop in to the fridge. Use that on the table to season the pork loin.

This is awesome on lamb, too btw and if you swap the rosemary for dill or fennel, works great on fish.

Take 1/4 of good olive oil
4 T. of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
3 T. of fresh oregano
3 T. of fresh majoram
2 T. of fresh basil
1/2 T. of dried thyme (I can never find fresh unless I grow it, but it dies every winter so I spend a lot of time cooking with dried)
Rub your pork loin down with that. Add salt & coarse black pepper to taste. Roast as above.

Mor.

Did someone say Pork Tenderloin?? I love cooking it on the Egg. First I rinse the tenderloins and pat dry with a paper towel. Then I drizzle some olive oil on them and give them a generous dusting of Dizzy Dust (this rub rocks!!)

PorkTenderloin1.JPG

Since Pork Tenderloins are a very lean cut of meat, I like to grill it hot and fast. It only takes about 30 minutes at 375 degrees over hot lump charcoal to reach 135 degrees internal.

PorkTenderloin2.JPG

Just flip them at 10, 20, and 25 minutes.

PorkTenderloin3.JPG

Pull them off and let them rest for at least 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Some foil over the top will keep them hot.

PorkTenderloin4.JPG

Similar to Ed's method, Mix together 2 parts Onion Powder, 2 parts Garlic Powder (or granules), and about 1/2 part salt 1/4 part White Pepper (you have to play with the last two to make it right). Coat the Tenderloin Completely and then grill it until just done. Serve with fresh Aioli and top with a garnish of Cilantro.

I like to cut the meat out flat kinda like butterflying it but you want to have it so that you have like 1/4 to 1/2 inch flat sheert of tenderloin.

mix into a food processer one stick of softened butter, one small onion, 2 cloves garlic, a few sprigs of mint, cilantro, and basil, 4tbs evoo, 1/2 cup mayonaise, and some capers if you like them. process until firm paste is made.

spread paste evenly over sheet of tenderloin then tightly roll tenderloin back up and tie off ends and center with butcher string.

set tender loin on cedar plank medium preheated grill let internal temp rise to 140 deg pull from grill wrap in tinfoil and let sit still for 20 min.

For me the only way to cook a pork tenderloin is to braise it. If you have never done it, I recommend trying it just once and see what you think.

Method:

Take your pork tenderloin and massage some oil all over it; I use peanut oil.

Liberally salt, probably more salt than you would think you need. Fresh cracked black pepper. A lot, but not nearly as much as the salt. That is all you need. If you want to add fresh herbs, it would be good here too, but oil, salt and pepper is all I use.

Then, get a thick cast iron skillet and turn the heat on as high as it will go. Leave it for a few minutes as cast iron takes a bit to heat up all the way. While you are waiting for it to heat up, turn the oven on 350 and open some windows and turn on some fans. When the skillet is hot, lay the pork in there, it is going to hiss at you quite loud and it will smoke quite a bit. However, don't touch it for two minutes. After two minutes, flip it over on the other side and let it sit for three minutes (three minutes this time because the pan is going to be a little bit cooler). After three minutes, flip it onto one of it's edges for two minutes, then the other edge for two minutes, and then in the oven for 40 minutes.

If you have never tried braising a pork tube, I suggest you try it just once, it is so freakin good.

I make mine with a mixture of Cayenne, paprika, turmeric, and salt and pepper.. All put into some flour. Then roll the Tenderloin in the flour. Then cook it in the oven, turns out great. I love the left overs for some sandwiches.

cubbies said:
For me the only way to cook a pork tenderloin is to braise it. If you have never done it, I recommend trying it just once and see what you think.

Method:

Take your pork tenderloin and massage some oil all over it; I use peanut oil.

Liberally salt, probably more salt than you would think you need. Fresh cracked black pepper. A lot, but not nearly as much as the salt. That is all you need. If you want to add fresh herbs, it would be good here too, but oil, salt and pepper is all I use.

Then, get a thick cast iron skillet and turn the heat on as high as it will go. Leave it for a few minutes as cast iron takes a bit to heat up all the way. While you are waiting for it to heat up, turn the oven on 350 and open some windows and turn on some fans. When the skillet is hot, lay the pork in there, it is going to hiss at you quite loud and it will smoke quite a bit. However, don't touch it for two minutes. After two minutes, flip it over on the other side and let it sit for three minutes (three minutes this time because the pan is going to be a little bit cooler). After three minutes, flip it onto one of it's edges for two minutes, then the other edge for two minutes, and then in the oven for 40 minutes.

If you have never tried braising a pork tube, I suggest you try it just once, it is so freakin good.

Braising is cooking the meat in a liquid after the initial sear.

You know I thought I might have had that wrong, but I decided not to look it up. Thanks for correcting my error.

Regardless, the method I use, whatever it is called, is quite a tasty way to cook tenderloin.

Is there any particular name for the method or is it just searing?

Regardless, the method I use, whatever it is called, is quite a tasty way to cook tenderloin.

Is there any particular name for the method or is it just searing?

That is Roasting. Searing first causes the Maillard reaction when proteins come to the surface and brown creating a wonderful thing called FLAVOR.

I used to marinated them in Mustard, white wine, rosemary and cracked Black pepper and then grill them. Really Good! Just hard to find good meat that is not pumped with phosphates.

Quick and easy dinner is to rub the pork loin with some pesto sauce (homemade is best) and roast in the oven. Serve with mashed taters or over a nice bowtie pasta tossed in said pesto sauce with some sundried tomatoes.

Back