The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cooking tips I've learned being married to a chef

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #21
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You can find good cast iron pans at yard sales and thrift stores for basically nothing.

They require a small amount of easy maintenance, so everyone hates them.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #22
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

And normally the older the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

aluminum has about 3x the thermal conductivity of iron.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You could add "great ingredients = great food". When using whole, fresh, high-quality ingredients, it's easy to make something that is amazing...but it's just about impossible to turn cheap, low-quality ingredients into something really special.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
aluminum has about 3x the thermal conductivity of iron.
So does this mean, using an aluminum pan vs. cast iron, I can expect my cold meat to heat faster because the aluminum pan is conducting the transfer of heat from the flame to the meat faster?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, but cast iron has more heat capacity, so a hot cast iron pan has a lot more thermal energy to transfer.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #27
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
So does this mean, using an aluminum pan vs. cast iron, I can expect my cold meat to heat faster because the aluminum pan is conducting the transfer of heat from the flame to the meat faster?
if it's a thin piece of meat, yes. if it's a larger piece of meat, since iron has much more thermal capacity, it will be able to heat it quicker and much more even....er
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #28
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
Yes, but cast iron has more heat capacity, so a hot cast iron pan has a lot more thermal energy to transfer.
Sure, but if the aluminum pan is transferring the heat from the flame(which is way hotter than what I need) thru the pan 3x faster than the cast iron....would it take fewer IBU's to heat my meat? And wouldn't I have more control of the cook, and wouldn't the meat cook in a shorter time period?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac

Sure, but if the aluminum pan is transferring the heat from the flame(which is way hotter than what I need) thru the pan 3x faster than the cast iron....would it take fewer IBU's to heat my meat? And wouldn't I have more control of the cook, and wouldn't the meat cook in a shorter time period?
Heating with alpha acids? Is that even possible???

I'm guessing you meant btu's

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #30
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
no, you'd have less control. greater thermal mass means you can keep an constant temp much much easier.

it's like trying to dial in 155F on 1 cup of water instead of 5 gallons of water. with 1 cup, you'll be constantly over/under/over/under.

as soon as you throw a 1" thick ribeye into your al pan, all the heat is going to be lost, and it has to regain it again. sure, it's quicker than iron, but it's nowhere near instant.

throw a 1" thick ribeye into a cast iron pan and not much heat is lost, and it's still gaining heat from the flame.

i don't think anyone's arguing you can't cook a great steak in an AL pan, but I believe cast iron is better for browning big pieces of meat.

Quick Reply