*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cooking tips I've learned being married to a chef

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Cooking tips I've learned being married to a chef

My better half used to work as a sous chef at a fancy Italian restaurant. I've picked up a lot of tips from cooking with her, and thought I'd share them with the world.

1) Learn how to use a knife. I've been cutting things my whole life without actually knowing how to properly use a knife. Start here:
http://youtu.be/D9Qzz8R_J1cand
http://youtu.be/YT2EHRqcO2U
2) Don't fear spices. The first time I saw her make marinara sauce, I was shocked at how much basil and oregano she used. Use fresh spices, and use a lot of them. Most mediocre cooking can be improved with more spices and more salt. If your spices are more than a year old, toss them out and get new ones.

3) Don't fear the burn. Get a cast-iron skillet and turn the heat up. Most stuff you cook in a pan would benefit from a little bit of charring. It's called "wok hei" in Chinese cooking. It's a combination of caramelization and Maillard reactions. I used to "sweat" everything, which is where your cooked veggies get limp and flaccid over medium heat. Throw the veggies into high heat and they'll get cooked but stay crispy.

4) Brown/char almost everything, especially slow-cooked meats. If you're throwing anything in the crock pot, throw it in that hot skillet for a few minutes first to get a good char on it. The skillet cooking breaks down the outer layer of the meat to allow the hot liquid to penetrate deeper, quicker, which means it will cook more thoroughly and faster. Also, if you're going to use marinades, char the meat first, then apply the marinade, and it will soak in deeper into the meat.

5) Butter is awesome. You know those awesome steaks you get at fancy steakhouses? Drenched in butter. A little bit goes a long way, so try mixing a bit in with whatever oil you're using in your skillet.

Well those are the main ones that come to mind. I'll post more if I think of anything else.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

scinerd3000 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 to butter on the steaks. It's the only way to go.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Marinading after cooking works great as mentioned above. I grill vegetables and after they're finished immediately toss them in an herb vinaigrette. They absorb a ton of flavor that way.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
Marinading after cooking works great as mentioned above. I grill vegetables and after they're finished immediately toss them in an herb vinaigrette. They absorb a ton of flavor that way.
Recently many people are starting to believe that marinading after cooking is actually better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Recently many people are starting to believe that marinading after cooking is actually better.
I would be one of the aforementioned people.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What!!! Brining didn't make the top 3!!!! :P

Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeLebowski View Post
What!!! Brining didn't make the top 3!!!! :P
She's in charge of all the roasts. I don't think I've ever personally brined anything, but I know she usually does.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
My better half used to work as a sous chef at a fancy Italian restaurant. I've picked up a lot of tips from cooking with her, and thought I'd share them with the world.

1) Learn how to use a knife. I've been cutting things my whole life without actually knowing how to properly use a knife. Start here:
http://youtu.be/D9Qzz8R_J1c
and
http://youtu.be/YT2EHRqcO2U

2) Don't fear spices. The first time I saw her make marinara sauce, I was shocked at how much basil and oregano she used. Use fresh spices, and use a lot of them. Most mediocre cooking can be improved with more spices and more salt. If your spices are more than a year old, toss them out and get new ones.

3) Don't fear the burn. Get a cast-iron skillet and turn the heat up. Most stuff you cook in a pan would benefit from a little bit of charring. It's called "wok hei" in Chinese cooking. It's a combination of caramelization and Maillard reactions. I used to "sweat" everything, which is where your cooked veggies get limp and flaccid over medium heat. Throw the veggies into high heat and they'll get cooked but stay crispy. .
You don't need a cast iron pan to caramelize sugars.

Do you know at what temperature sugars caramelize?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
You don't need a cast iron pan to caramelize sugars.

Do you know at what temperature sugars caramelize?
You're right, I know you don't NEED a cast iron skillet, but thick and heavy pans hold heat better. It's much harder to get a good stir-fry, for instance, in a flimsy pan than a hot cast iron skillet.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
You're right, I know you don't NEED a cast iron skillet, but thick and heavy pans hold heat better. It's much harder to get a good stir-fry, for instance, in a flimsy pan than a hot cast iron skillet.
So, do you know at what temperature sugars caramelize?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Quick Reply