Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cooking with spoiled beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
penguinfogel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooking with spoiled beer

I know the reverend and others say that there is no such thing as a spoiled beer, but I have about 30 bottles left of some stuff that dares to challenge that statement, and I want it gone so I can put something else in those bottles. Anyway I've tried a couple recipes so far to use up some of it, and was wondering if anyone else has some good recipes for spoiled beer.

I posted this recipe for Welsh Rabbit on my blog over at theweeklybrew

Welsh Rabbit

1 1/2 tblspoon butter
1 12oz beer
3 cloves garlic (you can use less, but I like garlic)
4 1/2 cups cheese
1 egg
1 tsp werschetchire sauce
1 1/2 tbl hot sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt

melt the butter and cook the garlic, combine with the booze, and heat. Next add the cheese slowly, stiring till it’s melted. Once the chese is melted and smooth temper 1/4 cup of the mixture with the egg, then add it to the pot. add the rest of the ingrediants, stir, and serve over toast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bratwurst are always good

Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
penguinfogel
Recipes 

Does that work with spoiled beer though? I was thinking along the same lines as that, but wasn't certain. Heres a chuck roast recipe I made with it recently.

1 2lb or so roast
1 12oz bottle of beer
7 cloves garlic (told you I love garlic)
1 onion cut however you like it
1 small jar of pickled artichoke hearts
1/2 tsp fennel
Cumin
Curry
Salt

Rub the roast with a mixture of salt, cumin, and curry, let sit a few, then sear on both sides. Remove the roast, add a little oil, and sautee the garlic and onion. Once finished add the beer and cook till reduced. Toss in the fennel and artichoke, then pour in with the meat and roast at 200 for 3+ hours till fork tender. I usually cook mine in a foil packet, and just go 3 hours and pull it out regardless. After its set you just drizzle the solids and liquids over it and eat away. When I made it I pureed the non meat stuff and used it as a paste when I made roast beef sandwiches. Mmmmmmm

Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What do you mean by "spoiled"? Oxidized? Infected? Light-struck?

I'd never cook with an infected beer.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3168 Times on 3073 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
What do you mean by "spoiled"? Oxidized? Infected? Light-struck?

I'd never cook with an infected beer.
+1

I try not to cook with stuff that taste bad. Starting with bad never gets better in my experience.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
penguinfogel
Recipes 

Ya, it's infected. It's not really as bad as you'ld think. Initialy when my batch went bad I thought my options were wait it out, or dump the batch. I'm a big fan of history though, and when I was reading about beer and early America I came across several references to cooking with spoiled beer, and ways to chemicly restore spoiled ale. I was a little curious, so I started looking into it more, and then gave it a try. I've made several dishes, and all of them tasted awesome, and I have a fruit tincture I'm making that was made with it. Kinda funny that we automaticly think spoiled = bad taste in this country. I still have like 30 bottles though, and I'm low on recipes, so I started this hoping someone else had tried it or had ideas.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Birchgrove77
Recipes 

My early batches didn't turn out so well because my sanitation methods weren't initially the best. Kind of had a harsh acidic bite, were overcarbed, and had some generally funky aromas. My favorite methods of disposal was the bratwurst jacuzzi, or using the beer to replace the water in the brining process. If you're going to use it in a brine you want to be somewhat careful you have enough headspace in the pot/bag/cooler before adding the salt or sugar, since the crystals act as nucleation sites for dissolved carbon dioxide. I learned the hardway and foamed over the pot I was using. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

what kind of beer was it? I think that could really determine what you use it for. Beer Cheese Soup, Cheddar Beer Fondue, Beer Bread with an artichoke dip, Beer can chicken, beer battered anything, using beer to poach in, or maybe a shepherds pie.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
penguinfogel
Recipes 

It was a dark, heavily herbed gruit, wich I think is why it's going well in everything. Mine has a similar taste to Birchgroves, very acidic, although mine is so fruity thatt'll make you pucker. Thanks for the input, I'm gonna have to try using it with brats I guess since you guys are practicly making me or at least that's gonna be my excuse

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
penguinfogel
Recipes 

Blueberry Beer Tincture

1 Pint Mason Jar
Blueberries
1 12oz flat beer
80 proof liquor

fill the jar 3/4 full of blueberries. Pour in the beer, add several shots of the hard stuff, top off with more berries, and screw the lid on. Let the tincture sit in a dark place for a week or longer shaking it every day. Serve over ice, or cook down for a syrup. This thing turned out far better then I expected, and I plan on making another. This time with scotch instead of moonshine. The liquor is supposed to stop fermentation, although mine started fermenting again after a week.

Quick Reply