The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cooking with Apfelwein?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I thought about using in a dish yesterday but couldn't get it to make sense... That being said, tonight I think I have one that would work!

I did a little trading last week and in the score, I wound up with three of the biggest heads of cabbage I have ever seen. So, I need to find a way to use it.

Here is what I'm thinking.

In a jumbo cooker, start about a pound of beef sausage cut into bite size pieces (I'm sure any sausage would work but, this is what I have on hand). Cook on medium-high heat until it starts to grease the bottom of the pan. Add a few cut up potatoes and cut the heat to low-medium. This will allow the potatos to suck the grease and cook without burning. As the potatoes near done (still rather firm), add a layer of chopped cabbage. These heads are big so, maybe 1/3 a head. Pour in about a pint of apfelwein and season with salt and pepper. I like black pepper so, I would probably go a little overboard. Cover and let simmer until the cabbage is tender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's great with porkchops. You can do a nice pork/cider and garlic pan sauce with it. There's surprisingly a lot of recipes that call for hard cider, it's fun to use your own hard cider.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Pork chops, potato , sauerkraut, apples and apfelwein. throw them all in a roasting pan and throw it in the oven

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Quick Reply