Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Try smoking more meat than you can consume in a week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #362
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 479

I try. I just seem to take leftovers as a challenge. But then again I guess I am just still overly enthusiastic about the smoker. Just getting into it and all. Much like homebrewing.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #363
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7KMS View Post
Kinda OT but...A coworker of mine gave me a bucket of chiles from his greenhouse and I'm waffling on what to do with them. I've got some cayennes, Thais, jalapenos, and lemon drops. My first thought was to make a pot of chili con carne with fresh peppers, then I thought I could make a nice salsa, but now I'm thinking I might pulverize them and ferment them to make a hot sauce. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up doing hot sauce because I've never done a fermented hot sauce, but if anyone has a way to talk me out of it I'm all ears.
I would suggest splitting them. The thais should make an excellent hot sauce, but I don't personally like them in chili. Make some chili with some of the rest, and freeze anything you might have leftover. Double win!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #364
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Making some chili as we speak! No beans in it though that's what I grew up with, trying to do something closer to the "original" tex-mex chili. I split the batch because my girlfriend doesn't like things that are too spicey, so her's is mostly bell pepper and sweet pepper with a little jalapeno and poblano.

Mine has all of that plus a little habanero and heavier on the jalapeno and poblano as well. Other than that it's cubed chuck and a little lamb shoulder in mine, a little beef broth and a bit of diced onion and roma tomato. Yeah yeah I know it's not supposed to have tomato, but it has a little. Will be served with black beans on the side, but not in it. Smelling great so far!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #365
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1506 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84 View Post
Making some chili as we speak! No beans in it though that's what I grew up with, trying to do something closer to the "original" tex-mex chili. I split the batch because my girlfriend doesn't like things that are too spicey, so her's is mostly bell pepper and sweet pepper with a little jalapeno and poblano.

Mine has all of that plus a little habanero and heavier on the jalapeno and poblano as well. Other than that it's cubed chuck and a little lamb shoulder in mine, a little beef broth and a bit of diced onion and roma tomato. Yeah yeah I know it's not supposed to have tomato, but it has a little. Will be served with black beans on the side, but not in it. Smelling great so far!
Not...supposed to have.....tomato.....

The BEANS I can take as a "OH WELL!! to each their own, but they are missing the boat..."

NO TOMATO?

Texas needs to secede.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #366
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Yeah, "real" chili shouldn't have tomatoes apparently. Whatever. The couple of roma tomatoes were great, and I bet nobody would know I put them in there if I didn't tell them. There was so much pepper and meat, and it was so slow cooked for three hours so any trace of tomato was pretty much gone. Mine was nicely spicy (enough to clear the sinuses, provide a warm sensation along its path and a little tingling on the lips), and the little bit of lamb shoulder in there was delicious.

Beans and rice on the side was an interesting way to do it. All in all it was different and if somebody would have served me that, I wouldn't have called it chili, but it was yummy

Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #367
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1544 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 2413

The other day on CNN's website a chili recipe was posted by a contributor. The recipe seemed ok, not special, but it was obvious said contributor put a lot of thought and practice into their recipe.

I want you to note that this is Creamy Goodness speaking... and I am annoyed by a good 75% of all the things...

A full on argument, including accusations and threats broke out. Over chili. The one reasonable guy (a Texan btw) said something along the lines of "I'm sure what you are making is delicious, but its just not chili" It got way worse from there.

I am so passionate about food, good food in particular and especially the history of food... but... geeeeeez.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

headbanger Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #368
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Tradition be damned... it's all about what I like when I'm the one cooking it! Do I know how to follow a traditional recipe? YES. Do I also know how to modify it to make it more to my liking? YES.
My chili has a lot of non traditional additions and yet I still call it Chili and i love it. I read recipes (for a lot of things) and continue to improve my process (just like brewing).

Old 11-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #369
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Not...supposed to have.....tomato.....

The BEANS I can take as a "OH WELL!! to each their own, but they are missing the boat..."

NO TOMATO?

Texas needs to secede.
Whole or diced tomato is considered a "filler" just as beans are under ICS competition rules and are prohibited, specifically in the traditional red chili category. Tomato sauce is not prohibited, though the judges will mark down for excessive tomato flavor.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #370
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger

Whole or diced tomato is considered a "filler" just as beans are under ICS competition rules and are prohibited, specifically in the traditional red chili category. Tomato sauce is not prohibited, though the judges will mark down for excessive tomato flavor.
There are several winning recipes on the ICSI homepage that contain tomato. I have reproduced all of the recipes in their history section though, and found all of them to be delicious with the exception of Joe Cooper's chili which was somewhat lacking. Note that none of those recipes contain any tomatoes, nor beans. Nor much else besides meat and peppers. That, however, is the beauty of simplicity. Try to recreate their "original" cowboy chili, and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply