Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cast Iron Pans, good brands?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They go from the stovetop to the oven to the smoker to a 600 degree grill without flinching. That's why I like mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #32
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3284 Times on 2047 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
They go from the stovetop to the oven to the smoker to a 600 degree grill without flinching. That's why I like mine.
Yep, I can see that. I broke a stonewear pizza pan while doing a pizza on my grill (too hot I guess). I'm hoping I get this Lodge cast iron replacement for Christmas!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Simple reason I use cast iron almost exclusively, I love the sear on the stovetop, throw into the oven to finish off, pull out and clean with a dish towel. That and it just looks so good sitting on my stove.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love mine because it is slick like non-stick, easy to clean and can still have fond on the bottom to help build my pan sauces.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 51

And they have that little lip that makes it easy to pour out used fry oil, etc. Few other pans have that.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #36
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I agree with others. Griswald or Wagner, if you can find them, are the best. They are heavier, thicker and hold the season better. I have some lodge and they work, sorta.

Cast Iron conducts heat really well. Another nice thing about Cast Iron is that is sits flat on the burner. All Clad and other high end pans don't do so good.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #37
StonesBally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lodge work superbly if you know how to season a pan correctly. First off, pre-seasoned is joke. With a new pan, I take oven cleaner to it to get all coating off. Then I bake it in the oven coated with flaxseed oil, and only flaxseed oil. You have to let the pan cool after, then add another coat. Repeat at least 5 times. This completely smooths out the pan, and gives a new impenetrable surface. I learned this trick from Cook's Illustrated. They even showed that a dishwasher did not damage this coating, and they found that flaxseed oil works much better than any other oil/shortening for this purpose.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

A flat-edge stainless spatula works really well too on the Lodge to smooth it out. Those little bumps get worn down and fat/oil fills the gaps. Fried eggs on my Lodge are like they're on an ice rink. Love it.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesBally View Post
Lodge work superbly if you know how to season a pan correctly. First off, pre-seasoned is joke. With a new pan, I take oven cleaner to it to get all coating off. Then I bake it in the oven coated with flaxseed oil, and only flaxseed oil. You have to let the pan cool after, then add another coat. Repeat at least 5 times. This completely smooths out the pan, and gives a new impenetrable surface. I learned this trick from Cook's Illustrated. They even showed that a dishwasher did not damage this coating, and they found that flaxseed oil works much better than any other oil/shortening for this purpose.
Yup. You could do all that to your Lodge pan and get a decent pan. I have some lodge peices, some Wagner and an old Griswold. And a few enameled pots which are really cool, but not the same.

The newer Lodge pans are different - still good. They don't hold a season as well and are rougher finished. Not as nicely made. The older pans you can just use and they will get a nice seasoning that will make them non-stick.

Luck!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have all All-Clad cookware (including non-stick) and I use my Lodge Logic cast iron just as much. Any brazing or cooking operation where you need HOT heavy handed heat, you can't beat the huge cast iron pan. They simply hold more heat than a SS pan will. I barely ever use my non stick stuff anymore.

Quick Reply