Burger Recipes Wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not one for doing anything fancy with my hamburgers. The biggest thing I've found that influences the quality is the quality of the meat you get. I've found that by going to an actual butcher as opposed to a chain grocery to get my hamburger the quality of my burgers increases dramatically. Although, if you have to go chain I've found the Kroger's is about the best.

Another thing to consider is what kind of "hamburger" you're using. Is it ground sirloin? Chuck? Ground beef? My personal favorite is to buy a pound of sirloin and a pound of chuck and mix the two. Sirloin is dryer but has a great flavor and chuck adds a good bit of fat to keep the burger moist. To that all I add is salt and pepper and make my patties.

When it comes time to cook I've found that leaving the burgers on the counter for 30 minutes or so, while my charcoal grill is warming up, is key. That way they can come to room temperature. At room temp the insides are done all the way through just as the outside has taken the right amount of color. Oh, and I make my burgers thick, usually a half pound of meat per burger and about 3/4" thick.

Hope this helps!

I've been experimenting a lot with burgers and found my favorite recently.

1lb 80% lean ground beef
1lb ground turkey
3 strips bacon, finely diced then browned (it's easier to dice if you freeze it first).
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup BBQ sauce

mix well, make patties, let warm to room temp and throw on the grill.

Good recommendations so far.
I'll add that if you (or SWMBO) like burgers medium or more that you turn down the heat and cover the grill. That gives the insides time to cook without drying them out and turning the outsides into a crunchy charred mess.
Personally I like 'em just past rare, so I can do high heat for a short time. When I catch e coli this will be why.

My brother in law and me raise and feed out steers for meat so I agree with the butcher meat hamburger. Before I press my patties I add fresh garlic(finely chopped) and run of the mill season all. Everyone at the barbeques love them. Its hard to go wrong with beer and burgers though.

I heat the grill super hot to get the grill marks and to sear the outside but then I turn it on low and close the lid to bake the insides. Granted, I like medium well burgers.

i like mine RARE. medium rare in restaurants, a little more rare at home.

i usually grill my burgers up with some onions and throw some swiss cheese on when they're almost done. nummy. i think i'm going to grill some tomorrow :)

Go the the grocery store and pick up a brisket flat that has a nice 1/8 to 1/4 inch fat cap and take it to the butcher counter and ask them to run it through the grinder TWICE. Make a nice patty, season it with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning, and put an indentation in the center and cook it over charcoal till done like you like em.

Serve it on a fresh Kaiser Roll or Ciabatti Roll with a big slice of Red Onion and lettuce. Hmmm Goood. Wash it down with some home brew.

Easy, simple and savory. Got rave reviews from my carnivore nephews tonight.

Lean ground beef (80%). About 3-4 pounds.
One box of generic herb seasoned stove top stuffing mix.
3-4 Tbps of worchestore sauce.
Mix it all together by hand and grill on very high heat until juice run clear.

It'll be the best burger you ever served or my name isn't BM.

We make up our own patties and season with the basics... kosher salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder... And we always grill over hardwood lump charcoal... YUM

Oh yeah, forgot about the lump charcoal. I switched to using that about six months ago and I love the stuff. Imparts just a hint of a smoked flavor to everything I grill which you'll never get from regular charcoal because of all the additives.

Ed's comment about having the butcher grind it on the spot reminded me of something I've been meaning to do, grind my own hamburger. I've done some checking online and you can pick up a solid manual crank meat grinder for right around $50. If anyone's tried this before I'd be interested to hear how it worked out.

add chopped onions, ground black pepper, a little salt, garlic powder, and some worceshire sauce to the ground beef, mix it all up, and make some burgers!
top with some smoked gouda cheese with a few minutes left on the grill.

The burgers I make... I kinda just make it up as i go along... so i cant really give ya quantities on some things. But here it is...

About 1KG of minced beef
A smallish onion. Diced. I leave it raw too... some peoples say ya need to brown the onion before it goes into burgers... but i like it better raw.
3-4 cloves of garlic. (Though maybe a little more wouldnt hurt)
Parsley, finley chopped. Dont really know how much of that i put in... but its quite a bit...
BBQ sauce... and lots of it.

Gets your hands in there and mix it all up... and probably add more BBQ sauce as ya go.

Thinking I might need to make some of these for tomorrow night...

Some very good ideas in this thread.

I personally do my burgers with fresh ground beef from the butcher +

Kosher Salt

Cracked Black Pepper

Fresh choppedGarlic

Worstichur sauce

And anything else you like to taste. Onetime I stuffed my burgers with blue cheese and it was intense but quite nummy if I do say so myself...

I forget where I saw/heard/read this, but for the past few years I've been doing it: take the ground beef and handle it the minimum possible to get them into burger shape/size you desire. Supposedly this improves the moisture retention when you cook.
I also leave my burgers (once pattied) on the plate on the counter for about 1/2 hour, and I pre-heat the grill to about 600F.
Shortly before putting the burgers onto the grill I spritz them with extra virgin olive oil, then I salt pretty heavily. I do this to both sides. I also put a light dusting of black pepper.
Throw onto grill quickly, letting minimum of heat escape when lid of grill is open, close grill lid, wait about 45 - 60 seconds, open lid and turn burgers 60 degrees and onto a fresh spot on the grill. Do this quickly and close grill lid again. After about 60 seconds more, maybe a minute and a half, take a quick peak. If some juice is on top of burgers they are ready to flip. Once flipped, close lid again and cook to desired done-ness.
Super tasty with toasted white bread, romaine lettuce, thin sliced tomatos, and of course (from another thread) POUTINE!! Don't forget to crack a cold homebrew!

I've done this a few times and it gets everybody's attention:

80% Ground beef made into patties with salt and pepper. Lay one patty and pile it with cooked bacon, Spanish Chorizo, chopped grilled onions, and swiss cheese. Then top with another patty and pinch the edges. I sometimes add chili peppers or a small amount of Habineros in the mix also. Depends on who's upset me recently! Grill and top with more swiss.

Enjoy!

g

Believe it or not, Mince up some Maraschino cherries and add about a tbs of the juice.

1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Black Pepper (fresh ground)
Salt (kosher)
Wosteshire Sauce (just slop some on, not too much or they get soggy)

That's how I start almost all my burger recipes, and I go on from there. For the non-beef eaters who do those turkey burgers, try the simon and garfunkel burger:

1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp sage
1/2 tsp rosmary (ground or fresh chopped)
1/2 tsp thyme

salt and pepper to taste

mike

We usually add either Dry Onion Soup mix or sometimes Dry Ranch dip mix.. and then brush on some BBQ sauce while grilling.. always come out moist and with the perfect amount of seasoning

SpamDog

EdWort said:
Go the the grocery store and pick up a brisket flat that has a nice 1/8 to 1/4 inch fat cap and take it to the butcher counter and ask them to run it through the grinder TWICE. Make a nice patty, season it with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning, and put an indentation in the center and cook it over charcoal till done like you like em.

Serve it on a fresh Kaiser Roll or Ciabatti Roll with a big slice of Red Onion and lettuce. Hmmm Goood. Wash it down with some home brew.

No picture of one of your burgers with the matching beer selection?

I'm a little disappointed :(

I mix
We've been trying to cut back on red meat so we use ground turkey. I think it tastes pretty darn good
Hamburger or ground turkey
Wosteshire Sauce
couple table spoons of spicey brown mustard
A small minced white onion
and a minced clove or two of garlic

If you like alot of wosteshire throw some bread crumbs in to help soak it up.

Mix in the following:

Worchestershire sauce
BBQ sauce
Diced onion
Beer-(duh)
Minced garlic
Breadcrumbs
1 egg per pound of beef
Salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
Oregano-Fresh chopped if you can
Chives-Again, fresh chopped if possible
A bit of dried mustard

mmm, mmm, good.

I roll a bunch of ground beef out between two sheets of wax paper until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Then I spread hummus all over the top and scatter it with red peppers, onions, and whatever other seasonings strike my fancy. fold the whole thing over and cut into squares with a pizza cutter for kickin stuffed burgers

Put lots of course ground salt and pepper on your patties, it gives it a little crunch and lots of flavor

2 lbs ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. crushed re pepper flakes
1 tsp. black pepper
6 ounces blue cheese cut into 6 pcs.
6 burger buns, toasted
6 portabella mushrooms, grilled

Preheat grill to med. high. Combine ground beef, onion, tabasco sauce, honey, garlic salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a lg bowl; mix well. Divide into 6 portions; form into patties around pcs of blue cheese. Grill 10 minutes or untill done. Put burgers on buns and top with the portabella mushrooms.

Yeah, its a man's burger! Just leave out the tabasco and red pepper for a milder version that still taste pretty darn good.

I agree with several ideas here. I start with beef 75-80% lean, pressed as little as possible when shaping, brush the grill grid with olive oil and just sea salt and fresh ground 5pepper blend.
Top it with Bacon-Onion Butter
( 3 strips bacon cut into 1/4" pieces, 1 small sweet onion chopped into small pieces cooked in a skillet, cooled and blend in a food processor wit 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1 tsp Dijon mustard)
Then the toppings of your choice

or

Ground turkey with a small piece of brie cheese in the center, topped with 1/4 thick slices of grilled onions and grilled Granny Smith apples :rockin:

Barley-Davidson said:
Good recommendations so far.
I'll add that if you (or SWMBO) like burgers medium or more that you turn down the heat and cover the grill. That gives the insides time to cook without drying them out and turning the outsides into a crunchy charred mess.
Personally I like 'em just past rare, so I can do high heat for a short time. When I catch e coli this will be why.

I go the other route really hot and fast.

I don't like as much seasoning as this most of the time. Once in a while a few oz of Dale's mixed up in the meat... good stuff.
http://www.dalesseasoning.com/

I do a Pickapeppa burger by simply mixing in as much Pickapeppa sauce as the 100% fresh ground chuck will hold and grill them medium-well. Then finish them off with provelone or baby swiss cheese, mayo, grilled onion rounds, lettuce and another generous amount of Pickapeppa sauce on a kaiser roll or oversized sesame roll.

[notetoself] Need to make a Pickapeppa burger soon... [/notetoself]

:cross:

No specific measurements for me...

Ground Turkey
Feta Cheese crumbles
Package of Chopped Frozen Spinach (thawed)
Worcestershire Sauce
Generic Grill Seasoning
Bread Crumbs

Mix everything but bread crumbs in a bowl, then just add the bread crumbs until you can make nice sturdy patties out of the mix.

Best if enjoyed with an assortment of homebrews of course...

Came up with a new recipe last night that turned out outstanding:rockin:
1.25# very lean beef plus
.25# bacon *************grind together and shape into patties

Top with Apple Slawand thick slice cheddar cheese
Peel and grate 1 Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 Tbs maple syrup
1/2- 1 tsp fajita rub (to desired heat)
lemon zest and 1/2 tsp juice
mix together and chill somewhat beforehand
Fajita rub
1/4 cup paprika
3 Tbs coarse salt
1 Tbs Ancho chili pwd
1 Tbs Chipolte chili pwd (or 2 Tbs of what you prefer)
2 Tbs cracked black pepper
2 Tbs garlic pwd
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs onion pwd
1 Tbs dried cilantro
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground allspice

mix together and store in closed container( makes the best fajitas) and will stay good several months

I will throw mine in the ring.

2lbs or 80% Ground Beef
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced
1/2 small onion diced
The juice from one fresh lime
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Monterey Jack cheese
one avocado
1/2 cup diced cilantro

mix all the ingredients expect the cheese and avocado, form into patties and grill over medium high heat and add slice of MJ cheese at the end.

Serve on a bun with slices of avocado and sprinkle with cilantro

I made turkey burgers a few days ago.

1 lb. Ground Turkey.

I didn't measure anything. Just use your judgment and don't make it too dry.

Throw in Salt, Black Pepper, Montreal seasoning, A1 Steak Sauce, bread crumbs. Mix with your hands, form 3 patties per pound of ground turkey. Makes a nice, big juicy burger.

I cook mine to medium. During the winter I've done these on the Foreman grill and they've come out very good. Of course, everything is better over coals.

Top with a slice of your favorite cheese(s), onion, tomato, lettuce.
Kaiser Roll or Preztel buns sure are nice.

Here's my method - makes some seriously tasty burgers:

First, I grind it myself, so it's super fresh. I use chuck, chopped into about 1" cubes, and 2-3 strips of bacon per pound of beef, chopped coarsely. I alternately feed the cubes and bacon into the grinder to evenly distribute the meats.

Next, and the thing that probably has made the biggest improvement in my burgers (and I think one or two have mentioned it already) form the patties loosely, handling as little as possible. Really working the meat makes for tougher burgers.

Also, if you press the middle of the burger in slightly, making a depression on the top and bottom, when the burger cooks and plumps up, it will end up being flat, and stay on the bun better.

I generally salt and pepper top and bottom, then toss on a very hot grill, but turn the temp down to med as soon as I close the lid.

I usually brush the grill with veg oil, too.

Also, NEVER press the burgers with the spatula!! It just presses all the juice out.

:mug:

Back