Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > A buncha my best recipes.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just came up with something that makes a great Brunch piece or a nice appetizer, or just something for dinner when you're not feeling like a full meal. I wanted to share it and was going to start a thread, but I remembered this old cooking one of mine, so I figured I'd just bump this a post it here.

Take a package of smoked salmon, put it in a food processor along with some low fat cream cheese, some lemon juice, old bay seasoning and some grated parm/reggiano and give it a whiz.

Take two eggs, a little milk, salt and pepper, garlic powder and black truffle oil (optional, but amazing) and beat gently, like mixing them for scrambled eggs. Butter a muffin tin. Brush 3 wonton sheets with butter and line each cup with them, layering them so the pointy tips alternate and fill the cups.

Spoon in some of the salmon cream cheese mixture, about 3/4 full. Ladle scrambled eggs mixture on top, filling the cups. Tap on counter to seat egg mixture around salmon. Sprinkle on more cheese.

Butter another wonton sheet and press down on top of each cup to seal. Butter top and sprinkle wit sea salt and pepper. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Brown top lightly with brûlée torch (or under the broiler for a bit) and serve.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Pappers_ Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 971 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

Looks delicious. I don't spend enough time looking through the cooking forum - your salmon boat recipe above looks like something I should try, we eat salmon a lot, but its usually just one or two variations. Salmon with ham sounds very Spanish, plus with the capers, mustard and citrus. Thanks!

Revvy Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 435

That looks incredible! By "scramble," you mean whisk together, right? Not actually cook scrambled eggs.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
That looks incredible! By "scramble," you mean whisk together, right? Not actually cook scrambled eggs.
Yes. Just mix them up. They cook inside the wonton shell. I corrected it in the recipe.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

I'm going to have to try the braised pork recipe. I love a good pork loin and I think the wife would enjoy that recipe. I've never cooked a pork loin that way before.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1683 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2868

This all looks so good. Thanks for posting them Revvy.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 849 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 2331

Revvy these all look quite tasty, but I'm wondering if there is anything that can be substituted for the cream cheese & milk in the salmon cup recipe. I know, nothing can REALLY take the place of cream cheese, but for those of us with lactose intolerance, it's either go without, or pay the piper.
Regards, GF.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Revvy these all look quite tasty, but I'm wondering if there is anything that can be substituted for the cream cheese & milk in the salmon cup recipe. I know, nothing can REALLY take the place of cream cheese, but for those of us with lactose intolerance, it's either go without, or pay the piper.
Regards, GF.
I don't know....I'm sure there's something out there, but since I don't have that issue, I don't keep up on things like that.

A lot of recipes of this sort call for Mayonaise as a binder, but I can't digest that stuff, so I use things like cream cheese.

They seem to make everything for lactose intolerant people these days, so I'd be surprised if there WASN'T an alternative.

I just found this on a google search, I don't know if it's true or not. http://www.cheftalk.com/t/31870/lact...d-cream-cheese They're saying that lactose is broken down in the sour cream making process, so perhaps sour cream would work?

There's also evidently a tofu based supstitute http://www.godairyfree.org/product-r...an-gluten-free for cream cheese.

But for that matter, wouldn't a creamy soft tofu work just as well?

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 849 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 2331

Thanks Revvy, you rock!
I'll give the tofu a try, maybe even with some mayo. I'll have to sort of experiment a bit, but thanks for the base recipe(s). I think the salmon boats will be on the to do list very soon.
Regards, GF.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1683 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2868

I gotta wonder, if penny pinching, if canned salmon works in a pinch...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply