Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Bhut Jolokia peppers...why?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bhut Jolokia peppers...why?

This is a two parter. I have seen these and thought about getting some seeds to grow. But then you have to wear gloves just to touch them. If they are that hot then it seems to me that it is just a hot pepper for hot's sake.

One, does anyone grow these? Why? Pictures of your plant with peppers and also of the peppers.

Two, what the hell do you use them for? I mean, Habanero is spicy enough. It seems to me like it is a game of oneupsmanship. I don't mean that in a bad way as I love Ferrari's too

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nystevecf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 252
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
This is a two parter. I have seen these and thought about getting some seeds to grow. But then you have to wear gloves just to touch them. If they are that hot then it seems to me that it is just a hot pepper for hot's sake.

One, does anyone grow these? Why? Pictures of your plant with peppers and also of the peppers.

Two, what the hell do you use them for? I mean, Habanero is spicy enough. It seems to me like it is a game of oneupsmanship. I don't mean that in a bad way as I love Ferrari's too
Just got my seeds a week or so ago. I would post pics but they are little seedlings.

I got them because I heard they were the hottest and wanted to see what they taste like. If they are hot just for the sake of being hot or have good flavor. I think they would be great for a pot of chili and of course to get some friend that thinks they can eat the hottest stuff on earth to try.
__________________
nystevecf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I agree and disagree. I have tried some hot hot sauces and they go all the way from flavorful and fullfilling, up to just heat. I think that I would go with trying to grow them as well to see what they taste like and if they are really as hot as they say. I disagree because I don't think I would ever make a pot of chili or trick friends with the hottest pepper on the earth. Seems like a waste of said chili and a possible trip to the hospital to me.

I know they are hot, but it is kind of like buying a car that can go 0-120 in two seconds. You will never go 300mph, but there is the possibility. I know that Habaneros are hot enough for 99% of my hot pepper needs, why get a pepper that I only need to use the tip and then what the heck will I do with the rest of the pepper?

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
yermej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 306
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
why get a pepper that I only need to use the tip and then what the heck will I do with the rest of the pepper?
Story of my life, man, story of my life.
__________________
yermej is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

all right all right all right.

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nystevecf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 252
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I agree and disagree. I have tried some hot hot sauces and they go all the way from flavorful and fullfilling, up to just heat. I think that I would go with trying to grow them as well to see what they taste like and if they are really as hot as they say. I disagree because I don't think I would ever make a pot of chili or trick friends with the hottest pepper on the earth. Seems like a waste of said chili and a possible trip to the hospital to me.

I know they are hot, but it is kind of like buying a car that can go 0-120 in two seconds. You will never go 300mph, but there is the possibility. I know that Habaneros are hot enough for 99% of my hot pepper needs, why get a pepper that I only need to use the tip and then what the heck will I do with the rest of the pepper?
Because of the "what if" factor, we dont know until we try one how said pepper will be. If you want once I get some I will send ya one and you can decide.
__________________
nystevecf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pickles's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,004
Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

I grow several varieties of habaneros and the Ghost Pepper (bhut jolokia). The reason i grew the bhuts was strictly curiosity. I have tons of unripe bhuts and have tasted only one and it is rediculuos! My friends, wife and I love to eat hot peppers, usually slice and put on nachos etc. I plan on using them primarily for hot sauce and dry some for seasoning food. The flavor is different than a habanero. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

__________________
pickles is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
growing vegetables/peppers indoors. grlz Cooking & Pairing 9 06-29-2009 07:40 AM
hot peppers friarjohn General Chit Chat 5 05-12-2009 08:52 PM
Provolone Hot Peppers Brakeman_Brewing Cooking & Pairing 14 01-22-2008 05:50 PM
Green Chili Peppers finchlake Cooking & Pairing 10 12-18-2007 06:04 PM
Canned my peppers The Pol General Chit Chat 1 09-06-2007 07:57 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS