Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Beer Sauce...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Beer Sauce...

Our Cafeteria Director got an ultimatum from his wife to thin out his cookbook collection, and since he knew I was a food & cookbook geek, he brought a box in for me to root through, and I ended up with about a dozen interesting ones.

I was just thumbing through Bon Appetit Country Cooking, Regional and traditional recipes of Europe and North America, and came upon this interesting recipe for Cotlete Porc Cu Bere (Romanian Pork Chops with Beer Sauce.)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup pork fat or drippings
2 to 3 onions, finely sliced
2 to 3 lg. tart apples, peeled and sliced
1 to 2 clove garlic, chopped
4 thick pork chops
Salt and pepper

Beer Sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup mild beer
Salt, cayenne pepper
Finely chopped parsley or chives
1 tbsp. brown sugar

Directions:
Heat the fat in a pan, spread with half the onions, add the apples, the remaining onion and garlic. Cook gently on top of the stove until the onions are soft and the apples cooked.

In the meantime prepare the chops. With a small knife score them in two or three places around the edges to prevent curling and cook them quickly in a dry pan, or under the broiler until brown on both sides.

When the chops are brown, place them on top of the simmering onions and apples. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover and cook over a low heat until the chops are tender (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile prepare the sauce.

Melt the butter, add the flour, stir well to make a roux, then gradually add the beer to make a thickish sauce. Add salt and pepper, parsley or chives, and sugar; stir well.

Serve the chops with the onion and apple mixture on a hot dish; and serve the beer sauce either separately or poured over the chops.

The beer sauce sounds great.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1268 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ooh.. now I know what to do with the leftover chops in the freezer

thanks.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Damn that sounds good Rev. I may now have to use this one

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah, I'm curious about it...I've done Pork and Apples before, but a spicy beer sauce sounds interesting.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That sounds really good ! I wonder how it would work with a pork tenderloin. I just might have to try it !

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
That sounds really good ! I wonder how it would work with a pork tenderloin. I just might have to try it !
Oh yeah, great Idea Kjung...I wonder if you could use the beer sauce and braise the loin with it? I do a braised Pork loin in pear nectar with garlic, thyme and onions, that comes out fantastic. I use my cast iron dutch oven....

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2999 Times on 2953 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That sounds really good but personally, I would use chipotle instead on cayenne just to get some smokiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
That sounds really good but personally, I would use chipotle instead on cayenne just to get some smokiness.
Then it wouldn't be hungarian I think, but it would be good!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Oh yeah, great Idea Kjung...I wonder if you could use the beer sauce and braise the loin with it? I do a braised Pork loin in pear nectar with garlic, thyme and onions, that comes out fantastic. I use my cast iron dutch oven....

That's exactly what I was thinking ! Water (beer) down the sauce a little more,and I think that you'd have a good braising liquid. I'm thinking doubling the amount of beer, and braise 30 - 45 min.

GOTTA try this soon !

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's "Beer for Sause" not Beer Sauce....jeez get it right.

Quick Reply