Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Beer prejudice at restaurants?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Simple economics, the profit margins on wine by the glass are enormous. They get 4-6 glasses of wine from a bottle and sell each for their cost of the bottle. Even by the bottle, a restaurant will sell at triple their costs.

My solution is to go to brewpubs and if I want a specialty food, to stay away from chains. Even then, you'll see the bias. My favorite brewpub has 10-12 brews on tap, but the wine list is six pages long.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Check out the menu for this local restraunt:

http://www.brewsterstreet.net/wiki/BST/Menu (Beers are about halfway down the page)

It's seriously laughable. I've never heard of Guiness being described as a "Special Premium Import" before...or for $4.25!!

I've never been to this place and never will...

Old 02-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

down here in south jersey, there are a few restaurants that have really good beer selections - one place has 7-8 good beers on draft and numerous bottles. although they do maintain that their Weihenstephan Weissbier is from Belgium for some unspecified reason. i had a discussion with the waiter about it last time and he tells me "our distributor must be lying to us then because he says it's from belgium". going to talk to the boss next time i go - it just kind of annoys me that it's wrong. or is there another weihenstephan in belgium - surely not.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer
Check out the menu for this local restraunt:

http://www.brewsterstreet.net/wiki/BST/Menu (Beers are about halfway down the page)

It's seriously laughable. I've never heard of Guiness being described as a "Special Premium Import" before...or for $4.25!!
You should have known not to go anywhere near a place with the phrase "Ice House" in their name.

BTW, I like the term "Super Import" It reminds me of how some manufacturers put the word "Deluxe" in front of their products to make them sound "special".

What I never understood (I actually got into a verbal dispute with a bartender once) is that most bars/restaurants will have a special on "Domestic" beers. Well the definition of domestic is that it is produced in this country, so how can they charge more for micro/craft beers? I guess to bars the word "domestic" is synonymous with "Crappy".

Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer
It's even more funny that they have Blue Moon listed as an import.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 02-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
down here in south jersey, there are a few restaurants that have really good beer selections - one place has 7-8 good beers on draft and numerous bottles. although they do maintain that their Weihenstephan Weissbier is from Belgium for some unspecified reason. i had a discussion with the waiter about it last time and he tells me "our distributor must be lying to us then because he says it's from belgium". going to talk to the boss next time i go - it just kind of annoys me that it's wrong. or is there another weihenstephan in belgium - surely not.
A few? Oy, I only know one and that place is pretty expensive. It would really be nice not to have to go into Philly every time I wanted to go out for a good beer.

As for restaurants not carrying good beer... well I guess I've started including that in my criteria of where to go to eat. That, or I tend to go to a lot of BYO restaurants and I'll take a look at the menu ahead of time and bring something to match. I would really love to see more local places start carrying some of the local beers around here. Its ridiculous how few places in SJ carry Flying Fish, and its brewed within 15 minutes of the restaurant. Also you'd think that a beer called Philly Pale Ale could make it on to more lists. Maybe the new Philadelphia Brewing Co. will get some distribution with their name.

Last edited by andypantz13; 02-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
razyrsharpe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Oh, major props to the Red Robbin chain. The last time I was in there, they had Red Hook Long Hammer IPA, Stella, and Fat Tire on tap. Not amazing beers by any stretch, but good enough for a burger joint.
hell yea, Bass Ale and Newcastle at the one here in Columbia, SC

Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm glad that at Cap Ale here in Richmond at least their domestic list (which is on special on Sundays, $2 or $3 a glass depending on what it is) is all domestics on tap. Bells, Rogue, whatever. They have BMC, but it's in bottles and it's not on the menu.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

check out this tap list:

http://www.elicannons.com/beer/ontap.html

and here is the bottle list!

http://www.elicannons.com/beer/bb.html

and to top it all off the food is amazing! but in all honesty it is a taproom before it is a restaurant.

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Very slowly. Eventually restaurants will realize that beer is the new wine.

Brewtopia made a post about the cicerone a few weeks ago. Anyone can actually create an acount and take a practice quiz.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51378
Just took the quiz. I removed the answers in case you are planning to take it yourself. I'm going to go gloat now.

You scored 10 out of 10

Congratulations! You got every question right!

Here are the answers:

How much beer is contained in a standard ½ barrel US keg?
»you answered which is correct

Which if the following is most likely to help preserve the freshness and flavor of bottled beer?

In the beer world, “SRM” is a measure of what beer characteristic?

A properly operating draft system delivers cold, carbonated beer with an attractive foam head at a rate of about 1 gallon per minute. What three elements of the draft system must be in balance to achieve this?
»you answered Twhich is correct

The clove or nutmeg flavors associated with 4-vinyl guiacol (a phenol) are typically found in what style of beer?

What role does “choker line” play in a draft system?
»you answered , which is correct

Compared to a Bohemian (Czech) Pilsner, a German Pilsner will usually be:

Hops contribute to what aspects of beer taste?

Which beer style is likely to have the highest alcohol content?
»you answered ,which is correct

A normal-strength beer that has been stored at room temperature for nine months would most likely exhibit what off-flavor:
»you answered ,which is correct

Quick Reply