Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Beer pairing for a Crawfish Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
McLovin82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer pairing for a Crawfish Boil

I am still waiting to bottle my first batch of homebrew, and (like so many) already thinking about what to make next. A friend of mine is throwing his annual crawfish boil in early May and I would like to brew up something special just for the occasion.

So, any suggestions for what beer goes best with gumbo, crawfish, spicy boiled, potatoes, corn and the like? I was originally thinking of a blood orange hefeweizen (recipe from Extreme Beers) but a quick google search suggested a best bitter or maybe an american brown ale. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

According to Garrett Oliver, Brew Masters Table;

No Crawfish listed...

Crab; Witbier, weissbier, helles, pilsner, Irish Stout, Saison

Shrimp; Witbier, weissbier, helles, pilsner, Irish Stout, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, APA

Gumbo; APA, brown ale, IPA, Amber Ale, Dortmunder, Weissbock

I 'd go with a session beer like a APA or an American Wheat.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

i would think a good lager with mild bitterness.. in my experience with crawfish and beer, brown ales just didn't seem that refreshing when your lips are numb. something very cold and mabye a lil on the light side. you will be drinking a lot of it to stop the burning and u don't want a headache during cleanup time

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say a good hoppy American Pale Ale, or IPA. If you're trying to please the crowd so to speak I'd go with a hefe/witbier. However, for me spicy + hops = awesome! Something about the bitterness, hoppiness, and spicy just works together. Where is all this taking place again? I may need some directions .

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I would say a good hoppy American Pale Ale, or IPA. If you're trying to please the crowd so to speak I'd go with a hefe/witbier. However, for me spicy + hops = awesome! Something about the bitterness, hoppiness, and spicy just works together. Where is all this taking place again? I may need some directions .
Exactly what I was thinking. A nice hoppy pale ale would really hit the spot. One with a bunch of Centennial hops.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's something off topic but this thread has me thinking about it... A buddy of mine and I dragged our wives out one night about eleven years ago to catch crayfish and cook them on the shore. As we were cooking them, my buddy grabs a freshly cooked crayfish and bites the head off. Juice and steam squirt all over the place and his eight month pregnant wife starts hurling! Priceless...

Last edited by RayInUT; 03-25-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 755 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

I'd say something along the lines of a brown ale, maybe a porter. I may be in the minority on this, but I usually go for scotch ales, doppel bocks & cream stouts; any of which (IMHO) would go well with your crawfish. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to recommend a pale ale or pale lager. I'm sure most would go for something pale & hoppy. Regards, GF.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
+1 here. Hoppy beers go great with spicy foods. I had a pretty hoppy APA with some really spicy jambalaya last week and it was awesome.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
McLovin82
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for all the responses. I had originally thought of a best bitter, but I have a light ale in the secondary right now so i didn't really want to brew another light-type ale. I think I am gonna go ahead with the IPA. In fact I am gonna take a stab at the continual hopping to try and make a 60 minute IPA in the spirit of Dogfish Head's (although to prevent copyright infringement issues I will call it a 59 minute IPA). I may even try an English IPA kit that uses some wood in the fermenter.

Now.... what to brew after that?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
tgrier

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We are doing our 4th Annual Crawfish Boil here in Austin this week-end.

I have a friend that lets me use his Jockey box and we are able to run 2 taps.

I have in my Kezzer
20 gallons of Hefe
20 gallons of my Grier Pale Ale (beechnut brew house)

The hefe is by far the fav of the BMCer's . I serve NO BMC and the taps flow all day.
Good times.

T Grier
Austin Texas

My Brew Status Page -

Quick Reply