Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Authentic German food help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Authentic German food help

I"m planning a blowout German Apriltoberfest, this spring. I have a doppleboch and maiboch lagering as we speak, and plan to make a hefe also.

The trouble is I don't have any recipes for good German food. I figured on getting several kinds of brats and sausages from this place.http://www.germandeli.com/okinbox2.html

Does anyone have a recipe for good German potato salad? Any other suggestions for food? Yes, sauerkraut is a must.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Homemade sauerkraut, start now and it will be good.
Then fry some brat coins, the sauerkraut, and hunked potatoes in butter. Salt and pepper to taste. mmmm

Last edited by Daddymem; 01-21-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Old World family recipe.

3 lbs potatoes
6 slices bacon
¾ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsps salt
½ tsp celery seed
Dash of pepper
¾ cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
(maybe some mustard)

Slice up then fry the bacon, remove. Soften onion, add flour, sugar, salt, seed and pepper. Add the spuds. They can either be boiled before hand or sliced and added raw. Put the bacon back in. Add vinegar. Add water to get desired consistency.

Of course, there is room for quite a bit of flexibility here. You can add mustard or mustard powder for a different variation.

I grew up on this stuff. Didn't realize most people made it with mayonnaise.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I've seen "authentic" German sausages at Whole Foods if you have one near you. They even had Weisswurst. It may be cheaper than the Germandeli website once they tack shipping on to it (cold-shipping).

Here's a Kartoffelsalat from a German cookbook I have:

1-3/4 lb potatoes
1/2 cup stock or water
1 onion, finely chopped
4 slices bacon, diced and fried
salt & pepper
vinegar
3 Tbsp finely chopped chives

Cook scrubbed potatoes in boiling water until done. Remove from heat, douse with cold water and peel while still hot. Slice potatoes immediately and put them in a bowl with warm stock or water. Add onion and fried bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, vinegar and chives. Serve warm.

And don't forget the PRETZELS!

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
Grimster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

German pancakes! and the best thing ever, spaetzle!

The recipe is basically the same, eggs milk and all purpose flour and a little salt to taste, I have HBP so I skip any salt.

For pancakes, shoot for the consistency of like a really really stout beer maybe as thick as like, warm honey.

For spaetzle you want, dough so way way more flour and honestly you can almost leave the milk out entirely.

Warm a nice skillet, a little oil, and ladel out the pancake batter just as thin as possible, and just barely cover the bottom of the skillet in batter, flip once, and on to the next pancake. I believe the french call these crepes? But screw the frogs my family is from Germany so these are German pancakes by george. Of course where they live France is an afternoon drive, about 1 hour to the border.

Use your imagination with the pancakes, we usually just sprinkled some sugar, honey, jam, molasses, whatever we had on them, rolled them up and ate them. They also make a damn fine soup! cut them up, make a broth, throw in whatever, taters, onions, bacon bits, nothing at all, whatever, and make a soup.

For the spaetzle, flatten out the dough and cut the smallest strips you can cut, I've also used a cake icing piping bag and the THINNEST tip I could to press it out, and cook them like any noodle in boiling water with lots of salt and some sort of oil to help it not stick. When they float, they're done.

With the spaetzle make a nice BROWN gravy, just put anything in there you like, chopped peppers, meat, mushrooms, onions, or make it just plain and brown whatever floats your boat.

Or make (my german spelling is atrocious)Verheirateh (marriage basically). Make a nice clear broth, add the spaetzle, chunks of potato, bits of bacon and some onions. Salt and spice to taste. This should be a fairly soupy soup, not like, chili more like chicken noodle soup.

The recipe already given for potato salad is pretty much what my mom does, and remember, WARM, not hot but definitely warmer than room temp!

And when you have this party, round up all ketchup bottles, and put them away somewhere, hide them, because some CRETIN will inevitibly try to use it on their potatoes or wursts and that's a cardinal sin, punishable by ridicule.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Grimster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
I grew up on this stuff. Didn't realize most people made it with mayonnaise.

And they EAT IT COLD, YUCK. Potato salad is to be warm and vinegary and bacony, not cold mayonnaise YECH. Being a Southern boy I have pissed off more than a few women by refusing to eat their potato salad.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

<looks over shoulder for mother-in-law>
This is Mrs. Jass' family go-to german type meal
mix equal parts ground ham, beef, and pork with egg, salt, pepper and rice. form into small, rolled portions and wrap in cabbage leaves ( we use sauerhead leaves). place wraps into slow cooker with sauerkraut, onion, smoked garlic sausage and smoked ribs and more salt and pepper to taste. top off slow cooker with water or beer and cook for 4 hrs on medium heat. can be served with spatzel or mashed potatoes and FRESH bread. Had this new year's day....a celebration in your mouth.
Enjoy your party.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
Weissbier
Recipes 

Feast your eyes on this menu.....That should give you some good ideas!

http://www.zumstammtisch.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
Grimster
Recipes 

3 more I just thought of, currywurst, german fries, and popcorn.

German style popcorn - just use sugar instead of salt.

German fries - make fries like normal but instead of ketchup dip or smother them in a nice thick brown gravy.

Curry wurst - grill a GOOD frankfurter, slice it up into bite size pieces, then cover it in ketchup, and then add a nice dose of curry powder and paprika then "heat it up" with powdered cayenne pepper to as hot as you can stand it, tabasco or srirachi sauce is also fine for this. Eat it with a good piece of German bread and of course, a nice dark German beer to battle the heat of the peppers. If you can find honest to god curry ketchup then use that! I usually keep a bottle in the fridge.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try choucroute... it is an amazing kraut based dish.

recipe here --> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Choucroute-Garnie-102386

Quick Reply