Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Anyone make sauerkraut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
caspio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Anyone make sauerkraut?

I had some homemade sauerkraut last weekend while visiting family, and it was delicious. I already make my own beer, cheese, bread, sauces, etc, so I thought it would be fun to add another thing to the list. I was reading up online though, and it looks like sauerkraut is just naturally fermented? Kind of goes against my tendencies as a sanitation-crazed brewer. Anyone here make their own sauerkraut and have any good recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

Alton Brown did a show on it once - I'd start there.

I haven't tried it - thought about it; but I only eat kraut maybe once a year.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have tried it, mine never got quite sour enough. I will likely try again, it is extremely easy, just cabbage and salt.

Here is a link:
http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut

Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I haven't make sauerkraut, but I started some dill pickles last night after watching this:

He briefly mentions sauerkraut refering to the quick fermentation process because of the surface to mass ratio blah, blah blah...
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Other than it just being something fun to do, it's not really that practical to make your own kraut unless you have a big vegetable garden that produces way more cabbage than you can ever get rid of.

You need crocks or jars to make it in, and then when it's done you need to put it up in mason jars. It smells bad while it's working in the crocks.

The end result, while certainly good, is not really any better than what you can get in stores, since it's all just cabbage, salt and sometimes caraway seeds.

If you really want to do it, though, it can be fun.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Uhh, one of the regulars in chat makes it in his kitchen, in smaller amounts and does not can it. He just keeps on eating it until it's gone, and the older it gets, the better.

I have crocks and all, but with cheese, salsa and beer, another current hobby thing is hard to swing right now-but I'm darn close to starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I make sauerkraut fairly regularly. The rest of my family doesn't like cabbage, so when it started showing up in the CSA box I had to do something with it. Unlike the poster above, my kraut is significantly better than store bought. It stays crunchy, and you can control the level of souring and fermentation simply by putting it in the fridge when it's about where you want it. I ferment in 4qt lexan containers, available at any restaurant supply, but any non reactive vessel with a wide opening will work. I use a zip-top bag filled with brine as a weight to keep the cabbage submerged. Using a brine bag you don't even have to skim. Nothing simpler.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has a sauerkraut page that is worth reading.

I've never had a problem with pickles, sauerkraut, sausages, cheese or other fermented food cross-contaminating my beer with unwanted organisms.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

My GF's dad has a farm in the middle of nowhere, and he and my GF's step-mom do a large food garden. She makes sauerkraut from almost all the cabbage they grow-- not sure how much, but a lot!

I'll tell you this.. it's far better than anything you can buy in the store. If you have the room to do it, even if you don't grow your own cabbage, do it...it's worth it for the taste and texture alone.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Just watched that Alton Brown episode and I am totally going to make pickles now!! Thanks. I've wanted to try this for a long time. I want to make pickled beets too.

EDIT - Wow! Crocks are expensive!

Last edited by Bopper; 09-19-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Uhh, one of the regulars in chat makes it in his kitchen, in smaller amounts and does not can it. He just keeps on eating it until it's gone, and the older it gets, the better.

I have crocks and all, but with cheese, salsa and beer, another current hobby thing is hard to swing right now-but I'm darn close to starting.
Yeah that would be me, I just do it my kitchen. Same goes with any other wild ferments: kimchee, kvass, unprocessed oats, sourdough, etc....
All come out wonderful. And as long as you're sanitary and keep your kraut (or other) equipment separate from your brewing equipment the odds of souring your beer is minimal to non existent.

I just jarred up some my sauerkraut today you can see some pics here.
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Last edited by juvinious; 09-24-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply