Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Anyone know how to make chili sauce

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Pommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Anyone know how to make chili sauce

Just thought Id ask on here since the answers for all the questions in life are better answered on here than through a google search

Anyone know any good recipes or tips for making chilli sauce or chutney? I have my own chillies grown at home and was hoping to make a hot sauce and a chutney. Any got any experience with this?

Hot Chilli Sauce: should make the most of the heat of the chillis and maintain the chilli flavour

Chilli Chutney: should use the mild chillies I have grown and mix with fruits to make a sweet an tasty but very mild chutney (for the girls)

Cheers to anyone who can help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There have to be several thousand ways to make a chili sauce.

Here's a simple one: put your chilis in food processor, add vinegar and salt, whirl away!

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Pommy
Recipes 

I was just hoping someone might have a few secret recipes or tips to get the most out of the flavours and heat of the chillies Guess I'm going to have to google it

Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What kind of peppers are you using? Try throwing them on the smoker before processing w/ the salt & vinegar. I usually use garlic too.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i made this one from my homegrown habaneros:
Blend about 5-6 habaneros, minus the seeds
place puree into empty beer bottle with 3-4 oz apple cider vinegar
add the juice of enough carrots to fill a beer bottle
and add 3-4 tsp brown sugar.

This one is HOT. but the heat dissapates significantly after a year in the fridge. then the flavors really melt well. when its young, use it sparingly as a marinade for sausages, when its aged a bit, dash it right on them wings.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make hot sauce all the time by the gallons from peppers I grow. This was cut from my reply to another thread on the topic called "Can I fry chicken wings in my turkey fryer? Any one have any recipes?". Do a search to find it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

I don't really follow a recipe. I just wait until I have enough ripe peppers to make it worth doing, usually enough to fill at least 2 big pots. I cut the peppers up (seeds and all) in fairly good size chunks, just to make them easier to cook down. Oh yeah, I cook them down. Some people make sauces that are "fresh" but to me that takes more time and is more like salsa.
So once in the pot I add some vinegar so they don't stick or burn and also for added liquid as peppers don’t have much. I also add some salt at this time. After about a half hour to an hour they have turned to a mush and I add more vinegar as needed to keep it liquid.
At this point I take a hand held blender and puree all the peppers. I then strain the liquid into another pot using a basket strainer and a ladle. I ladle in a few scoops and use the ladle to work out and separate the pulp and seeds through the strainer. This done right takes about 30 seconds each small batch with little pulp to throw away. Make sure you use a fine but large WIRE strainer.
Once all the pulp is removed and everything is back into pots I add more vinegar and salt to taste and bring back to a boil and then cook for another 15 minutes or so on medium heat stirring so it won't stick or boil over.
At this point I do one of two things depending on how patient I am. I either can it right then and there while it is still hot or I let it cool and sit overnight for the flavors to blend more. Then the next day I boil again and then can. This aging makes a better sauce.
That is about it. I am not big on recipes, I mean it's just hot sauce and I am not selling it so no big deal if one batch is a bit different from the other. I also noticed the older the peppers the better the flavor. Last year we had so many ripe peppers I couldn't keep up with them and they got real deep red and soft and "chewy" on the plants. I used them anyway and they made the best sauce yet with the reddest color yet.
Last year I think we counted about 80 hot peppers plants of 5 types.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Andrea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Fermented Pepper Sauces (Tabasco)

Ingredients:

Tabasco chile peppers
Salt
White wine vinegar
(See below for amounts of each.)

Directions:

Prepare mash. Grind peppers (any amount), seeds and all, in a medium to fine grind. Add ½ cup kosher salt per gallon of ground peppers. This ratio of mash to salt of 32:1 seems to be the best but can vary depending on the quality of your peppers. Put mash & salt mixture into a glass or crockery jar. Press the mash down and cover with saucer or other lid . Liquid will form. Add yeast of choice

Age (ferment). Allow to age at least 1 month. Longer is better … McIlhenny ages their Tabasco peppers for 3 years!

Allow fermenting until the mash stabilizes (stops fermenting). After aging is finished, place mash in a new clean and sterilized jar. Add sterilized white wine vinegar to taste and age for about another week to blend the flavors together.

"Pulling" the peppers. Run the mash through a chinoise, fine strainer, or, last resort, throw it all into a bowl lined with cheesecloth, fold the cheesecloth up into a ball and twist & squeeze until the juice is extracted. Salt to taste. Bottle the juice and keep in the refrigerator.

Or strain and blend in food processor for thicker sauce

Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My wife and MIL make Sambal often.

Start with the white rooster garlic chili paste and cook it down until the pan bleeds.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Pommy
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies, I thought this thread had died weeks ago

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Andrea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

We are getting ready for the summer's bounty in our hemisphere....
Time to prepare !

Quick Reply