The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Anyone have or use a Bradley Smoker?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Anyone have or use a Bradley Smoker?

So I was watching a little Primal Grill (http://www.primalgrill.org/) this morning trying to come up with something to BBQ this weekend and I saw that he was using one of these

To do some smoking.

Well I think it was a Bradley Smoker and man the idea of have precision temp control and automatic feeding of smoker chips got my mind turning.

Does anyone have one of these or have an experience with one? I am really wanting to get one. I have one of these currently:

But have had trouble maintaining a constant temp or even keeping the temp in the smoking portion up to 225 toward the end.

Just currious is anyone has or used one of these?

http://bradleysmoker.eseecommerce.co...d=2&parent_id=

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do not have a Bradley smoker but the price scares me. I have a UDS ( ugly drum smoker) that I built for about 40-50 bucks. I can maintain 225 all day long and have smoked over 12 hours without needed to add more coals. I am in no way saying the Bradley is not good. I love bells and whistles and have them all over my brew system. But for smoking I like simplicity.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have looked at the bradley but then decided that the char-griller is much better and only about $15 more. Lowes carries them. There are a few mods that need to be done for just a couple bucks and they work like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I have looked at the bradley but then decided that the char-griller is much better and only about $15 more. Lowes carries them. There are a few mods that need to be done for just a couple bucks and they work like a champ.
Which model do you have and what mods did you do?
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker from Lowes($200). It's one of the best thing's I've recently bought. I love it. IIRC the Bradley uses some type of wood pucks or some type of thing. The masterbuilt works the same way but uses chips. Three weeks ago I made an 8lbs pork butt on there and started it at 10 pm. Fed it chips for four hours. Went to bed and had the best pulled pork ever for lunch. Literally set it and forget it. Couldn't ask for more really. You set the temp and the time.

What's tappening? :D

Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
jrfuda
Recipes 

I've had a Bradley since February of this year and I love it. I did not get the digital version, however, instead I got their 4-rack black smoker and bought a PID for it from AuberIns. There's a pretty active forum for the Bradley: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php and prior to buying (actually, receiving as a birthday gift) I lurked there for about a month making up my mind, and decided that an aftermarket or DIY PID was a better solution than the digital smoker.

I use it about twice a month, and it's great. With the PID it's set it and forget it. I load it up with my seasoned meats, and then go about my business (load a pork butt at 2am, or some ribs around 8am and they're ready by dinner after a nice FTC (Foil-Towel-Cooler) rest.

I'm typically able to leave, run errand, play with the kids, and whatever else I want to while it's running - give the meat a spritz every 90 minutes - and get great results. Cleanup is a breeze (unless you're anal, a little bit of crud left in a smoker that operates at 225 is NOT gonna hurt you!).

The ribs I made last weekend were the best ribs I ever had in my life - period (and about the 6th batch I'd made on the Bradley, with each batch a little better than the last as I got my technique and timing down)

A little OT... I think the awesome quality of the meat I used on that last batch helped a bit, and wish I'd of bought about 20 racks. These were the most perfectly marbled baby backs I'd ever seen, heavy on the meat and small on the bones. I usually get spareribs, but these were on sale, and after seeig how beautiful they were in the package I could not resist. I bought 6 racks, smoked 4 (we had company) and froze 2.

Anyway, if you like a set-it-and-forget-it smoker, this is the way to go. One other thing to note of the Bradley and all electric smokers - your meat will have little or no smoke ring because the smoke ring is formed by compounds arising from the combustion of hydrocarbons in wood and/or fuel. There's not much of these compounds released when you're just smoldering small quantities of wood for smoke - not heat (heat comes from the electric element) - so you won't have a pretty pink/red smoke ring on your food, but your mouth won’t know the difference!

Last edited by jrfuda; 09-18-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typos

Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
chuggs
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/

The Forum at the above link would be my recommendation.

You can search for the type of smoker you're looking for...and there will probably be a lot of posts with tips techniques etc...

As Mike mentioned...the Chargriller that Lowes' carries was my choice as well...but it does require some manual manipulation. You have to monitor the temp...the wood chunks and charcoal are your responsibility... You can't just set it and forget it...like a lot of the digital models. On the other hand...I can take it with me anywhere...and it doesn't require electricity to operate. Some folks like being hands on with their smoking...others love automation. It's up to you. The other thing to consider is how much space you have. I can do 6 full slabs of ribs...or two boston butts...or a brisket and a boston butt...at the same time. That seems to be enough for most of my cooking.

I'd love to get one of these one day....

http://www.diamondplateproducts.com/50_Series.php

My brother had one of these...until some thief cut his chain and made off with it. My two brothers and I cooked all the food for my baby sisters wedding reception on the FAT 50 model. We used less than half the available rack space and cooked a dozen turkeys and a dozen pork tenderloins at the same time. Heated some beans...and even cooked some venision. These things are amazing!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Which model do you have and what mods did you do?
I don't have one yet but I will soon. I have a friend that has one though. Check out www.smokering.com. They have a forum on there that has tons of info about the chargriller. The one I am looking at is the pro and buying the side box separate.

Some of the mods are extending the smoke stack down, reaplacing the thermometer, redoing the rack in the side box and a couple other little things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
I have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker from Lowes($200). It's one of the best thing's I've recently bought. I love it. IIRC the Bradley uses some type of wood pucks or some type of thing. The masterbuilt works the same way but uses chips. Three weeks ago I made an 8lbs pork butt on there and started it at 10 pm. Fed it chips for four hours. Went to bed and had the best pulled pork ever for lunch. Literally set it and forget it. Couldn't ask for more really. You set the temp and the time.
This one looks like a good options with the ability to not have to buy proprietor y wood chips and still have the set it and forget it with the heat.

I will have to head in to lowes and check it out. I know I will have to get rid of my current smoker as I doubt the wifey will let me add a #6 BBQ but you know you have to have one for each type of grilling/BBQ/portable/gas etc...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have both a char-griller and a Bradley. I really like both. I use the Bradley for smoking sausages but pretty much use the Char-griller for everything else. The Char-Griller makes a great grill too! I can get that thing so hot that it glows! It's great for searing thick ribeyes. I'm sure you can get that thing well over 1000*F. Do the mods if you plan on smoking. You won't get the temps right otherwise. The thermometer that comes with it is garbage too. Get a good one and replace it.

My Bradley isn't feeding the pucks properly right now. I think there is a short in something and one of these days I'll call customer service. I haven't gotten around to it yet. I make smoked kielbasa every year for Christmas so I guess I should start looking into it.

Quick Reply