Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Anybody buy spices online?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
BrianP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on Penzeys. I've been a satisfied customer for years.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4368 Times on 3176 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP
+1 on Penzeys. I've been a satisfied customer for years.
yep, me too! I love Penzeys.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I second what orfy said, though. I find most of my spices in international markets around town for a fraction of the price. Penzey's can get a touch pricey.

Also, you say you're going through them quick, but always try to buy whole/unground when you can and grind at the time of cooking. I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 AM   #14
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another vote of confidence for Penzy's. I just got a Hot & Spicy pack from there for Christmas and I've already used about 5 different ones out of the 8 that are in the pack. All of 'em have been good so far, but I'll hold out for an "excellent" rating until I try their Vindaloo mix.

Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
Sluggo

Recipes 

And yet another +1 for Penzey's.

There's a store 4 miles from me that I am drawn to every time I go near it. In the store (at least the one by me) they have large jars of all the spices they sell sitting next to the ones for sale. You can open them up and take a good snort, but I don't recommend that on some of the curries and one of the rubs that has horseradish powder in it. I can't remember the name, but I had a sneezing fit for 5 minutes and burning sinuses for quite a while after.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #16
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did a little price comparison between the spice house and penzeys, on 1 pound of identical spices (I checked 4 different ones) the spice house was cheaper on 3 from $0.20 to $2.50 and one Penzeys was 25 cents less.
It seems like they have almost identical products, even the glassware they carry.
Strange they are both located so close to each other and in the midwest, most importers are located on the coasts.

Anyone have some favorites from either place? I love the Ancho and chipotle chilli peppers and the tellicherry peppercorns

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Anyone have some favorites from either place? I love the Ancho and chipotle chilli peppers and the tellicherry peppercorns
I think it was the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon that I got there a while back, amazing stuff. It has a distinct sweetness that you would swear they add sugar to it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I second what orfy said, though. I find most of my spices in international markets around town for a fraction of the price. Penzey's can get a touch pricey.

Also, you say you're going through them quick, but always try to buy whole/unground when you can and grind at the time of cooking. I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.
What is funny is, my friends family when they visit back to India from Boston bring tons of bulk spices because the prices are much better. That one always confused me . But yeah I couldn't imagine what wierd stuff I'd have in my storage if I were traveling to different places and some places you can get great prices. Price is the single reason I don't buy from Penzey's for the reason that we use a lot of spices all the time in our household. If I had a store close by I'd probably be in there often though looking for off-the-wall stuff or specials.

I also second the motion to keep spices airtight, whole, in the dark and cool. For whichever you can manage to do so. I only buy a few things ground because it is either too difficult to do so at home (ground Cinnamon is a good example) or I use tons of it at a time, like ground dry Mustard to make prepared Mustard.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.
FWIW, I make my own chili powder. That is another reason why I am looking at a spice shop. I am lucky to get anything but Anaheim Chili's in the grocery stores here. I am going to give Penzy's a shot, just because they are local here. Granted I wouldn't call them 'close' but it just so happens they are pretty close to a microbrewery here, so, kill two birds with one stone if you will

Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #20
Sluggo

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I'm in total agreement on the Tellicherry peppercorns. Another of my favorites is the Aleppo pepper...kind of like a salty red pepper flake with more flavor. I also like the Chicago Steak seasoning, it's great for grilled steaks when I'm too lazy to do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
I think it was the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon that I got there a while back, amazing stuff. It has a distinct sweetness that you would swear they add sugar to it.
Ever since my wife found that cinnamon it's all she uses to cook with. It's some good stuff.

Quick Reply