Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Amazing pairings at a beer dinner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Amazing pairings at a beer dinner

So Milwaukee's a bit of a beer town and lots of restaurants here have been doing beer dinners. Last night one restaurant, Hinterland Gastropub, hosted something of an All-Star beer dinner.

The five restaurants that do Milwaukee's best beer dinners collaborated on one huge event. It was a five-course dinner with each course dreamed up and prepared by a different chef (Course 1 was done by restaurant A's chef, course 2 by restaurant B's chef, etc. ) and each course was paired with a different beer.

Anyway, I wanted to post some of the brilliant and very unexpected pairings.

First course was a shellfish chorizo (that's right) grilled octopus and grilled leeks. The chorizo was spicy and cumin-y and wonderful. This was paired with Goose Island Sofie. I never in a million years would have thought to pair a Belgian style farmhouse ale with Mexican style sausage, but the pairing was incredible.

Next was a butternut squash soup with pork, beef and veal meatballs. This was paired with some cask-conditioned 2012 Hopslam. Another brilliant pairing with the hoppiness working wonderfully with the sweetness in the soup and the spiciness of the meatballs.

Next was Hinterland's Maple Bock. (It's a regional gastropub so I don't know if it's available outside of Wisconsin) Anyway, it's a great bock beer with just a hint of maple and smoke. This was paired with a slightly maple-y goose breast and collard greens.

Next, short ribs and pork belly paired with Alpha King. Awesome.

Finally, we had a peanut butter torte and roasted banana paired with Founder's Imperial Stout which was amazing too.

Anyway, I was just so surprised and impressed with the chorizo/Sofie combination and the Hopslam/butternut squash soup that I had to post for the HBT folks. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

dambit, where the hell was I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Next one's April 16 at Sanford. Same cast of chefs, I think - Sanford, Bartolottas, Hinterland, Tess, and Roots.

Quick Reply