Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Ale Mustard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ale Mustard?

I'm working on a project involving an ale mustard, but I can't seem to get my hands on some rather than ordering online.

While I'm waiting on that, can anyone here offer any insight as to how much ale flavor comes through in an ale mustard? I see Sierra Nevada has some that they sell. Has anyone ever tried it, or tried making their own?

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I wouldn't go with an IPA mustard myself.

I would take some Coleman's mustard powder and add an ale that you like and see how it goes.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoodScientist View Post
I'm working on a project involving an ale mustard, but I can't seem to get my hands on some rather than ordering online.

While I'm waiting on that, can anyone here offer any insight as to how much ale flavor comes through in an ale mustard? I see Sierra Nevada has some that they sell. Has anyone ever tried it, or tried making their own?
Sierra Nevada Stout and Stone Ground was my go-to mustard before I married a gluten-free gal. It was fine mustard, but I don't remember the flavor of the stout coming out all that strongly. But then it was up against the mustard seed and whatever else was in my salad dressing, so the stout flavor probably didn't stand much of a chance.

I once decided to see what would happen if I mixed bourbon with Coleman's powder, thinking that it might be a good Carolina mustard sauce secret ingredient. The results were pretty awful. Beer would probably give you a better result, but I think you would be better off starting with the seeds, as suggested in this link.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
Sierra Nevada Stout and Stone Ground was my go-to mustard before I married a gluten-free gal. It was fine mustard, but I don't remember the flavor of the stout coming out all that strongly. But then it was up against the mustard seed and whatever else was in my salad dressing, so the stout flavor probably didn't stand much of a chance.

I once decided to see what would happen if I mixed bourbon with Coleman's powder, thinking that it might be a good Carolina mustard sauce secret ingredient. The results were pretty awful. Beer would probably give you a better result, but I think you would be better off starting with the seeds, as suggested in this link.
Nice link. The powder just seemed easier, seeds are definitely preferable.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

We have a jar of sierra Nevada porter mustard in the fridge. Its great. Check high end or specialty grocery stores, ours came from "the fresh market"

Quick Reply