Advice on sourdough starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
My boss at the restaurant I work in has been in the process of making a sourdough starter. We have been feeding it every day and pouring off the hooch. It is starting to smell like sourdough, but a lot more yeasty/bready. Is this how a starter is supposed to smell, or should it funk up a bit more?

We bake bread every day. I told him that maybe the yeast around the kitchen from bread making took hold of the starter too fast overpowering the souring organisms. Any words of wisdom would be great!

With mine, it is only about 8 months old and still doesn't have the huge lactic tang to it. I've read that you just need to use it more and more and over time it develops the really good flavours.

Just my experience, however.

Mine is over 2 years old now, and funky as hell!
Some restaurants have a very hard time with sourdough because of the aggressive nature of the bread yeast. It gets everywhere, and works very much faster than the lacto...one of you may need to keep the starter at home.

Some Q's
1. Does it look all bubbly and nasty...much like pseudo's avatar?
2. Is it thin and runny, or thick and gooey? A thick starter will not develop a good lactic twang nearly as well as a thick one.
3. what temp do you have it?

I never get too worried about dumping off the hooch except when it's been in the chill chest for a few weeks.
You can get the thing going pretty well with some stone ground rye and a fet tsp of milk, then whip and add water and flour every 12 hours....3 days you should have about 2 gallons of frothy funk that will need to be either refrigerated or used.
Here is a pretty good way to use it up as you are building up the starter.
BISCUITS:
1 c starter
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 c flour
Mix all ingredients. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut and place on greased sheet. Bake in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.

Also have this in my files...It's from a sour dough web page that I found a few years ago, but I can't seem to find said Page.
Anyway, it works for me.

San Francisco Sourdough Starter
(Method and Recipe)
This method of starting a culture does not use any commercial yeast, nor does it require any special skills. It does require a VERY clean environment as you are in fact culturing natural (Wild) yeast and encouraging it to grow in something that you are going to eat. Just make sure that you have very clean bowls and utensils and everything will come out very tasty
Rye flower (Stone Ground) is used to make a new starter because it has the natural yeast and bacteria needed to start the culture. Once your starter is healthy, you can use it with any kind of flour, so you can use rye flour even if you don't plan on making rye bread.
Mix 1/4 cup of chlorine free water (either bottled or filtered will do fine) with 3/8 cup of whole grain flour in a quart sized glass container. Mix them well, cover with plastic wrap or a loose fitting lid, and put in an 85F area. A gas oven with a pilot light, or an oven without a pilot light with it's light bulb on should be close. You might want to put a thermometer in the oven to check it's temperature. Now wait about 12 hours.
There is a very good chance that at the end of the 12 hours, you'll see bubbles in the liquid.
If not, wait another 12 hours. You want to see some bubbles, some signs of life. If you still don't see any signs of life, wait another 12 hours. If you still haven't seen any bubbles or signs of life, ditch the starter and start over.
Once you see signs of life, add another 1/4 cup of chlorine free water and 3/8 cup of whole grain flour. Cover the container, and put it back in the warm area.
At this point, you will need to feed your starter regularly to encourage the growth of the micro-organisms. Every 8 to 12 hours you need to feed the starter. You should double the size of the starter with each feeding. This will get out of control pretty quickly, so to keep from being overwhelmed by starter, you should discard 1/2 the starter before each feeding of the starter.

Caring for Starter
A day or so before you want to bake, remove the starter from the refrigerator. The dark layer of liquid on the top is called "hooch", and it is an indication that the starter has been stored too long without feeding. As the name implies, the hooch contains alcohol. It is said that the old sourdoughs drank the stuff. I can't imagine being that desperate for a shot of booze. If the hooch is less than an inch or so deep, just ignore it. Otherwise, pour it off and replace the liquid with water.
Pour the starter into a mixing bowl. You may have to use a spatula to encourage the last of the starter out of the bottle and into the mixing bowl.
Next, add two cups of water. Whisk the water and starter together. Whisking puts some air into the starter, helps the starter recover from storage more quickly, and also distributes the yeast and lactobacillus bacteria more evenly through the mixture.
Then add 3 cups of flour and whisk that in also. (For bakers who measure by weight, this is very close to 100% hydration.) The resulting liquid will be quite thick. You don't need to whisk it until it's absolutely smooth.
Cover the mixing bowl, and let the starter work for 12 hours or so. This feeding will start the revitalization of the starter. The yeast and lactobacillus bacteria will wake up, and become active.
After the 12 hours, the starter should be frothy and active. Add another cup of water to the starter, whisk the mixture, and then add 1 1/2 cups of flour. Put two cups of the starter back in the jar, cover it loosely, and return the jar to the refrigerator now. At this point, the starter is at its peak of health, and putting the starter back in the refrigerator right after the feeding extends its storage time considerably. If you leave the starter out of the refrigerator, it will grow, and will most likely fill the jar.
Three hours or so after the second feeding, the starter should be frothy, bubbly, active, and ready for use. If you need more starter for you baking needs, just feed it again, and let it go for another 3 hours or so. You can triple the size of your starter with each feeding.
This approach to handling your starter should prevent excess acidity from building up, and should keep your starter healthy.
The kind of flour you use to feed your starter is not critical. If you are planning a sourdough, use 1 cup of white flour and 1/2 cup of rye flour, because rye flour gives the starter a better taste.

Mmm, well I have heard that what essentially happens is your strain goes "local". I have read on more than one occasion of someone taking a very sour strain, bringing it home only to have it mellow. The one I had going for a long time never got anything more than noticeably sour.

The History Channel did sourdough once, they were talking about the flora/fauna of San Francisco is different from anywhere else in the world, and that's why their sourdough is considered among the best in the world.

After listening to the basic brewing radio podcast on sourdough it really made me want to make my own. After 2 weeks mine has turned out amazing, I just made a few loaves last night and it's one of the better sourdoughs i've had.

How I did it

I took a mason jar and put in 1 cup King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour and 1 cup water and I let it sit on the counter open, everyday for 2 weeks I took out half the mixture and replaced it with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 water. After the 2 weeks was up I fed it really good with 2 cups of flour and water and let it get all bubbly then into the fridge it went. Now when I want to use it I just take a cup of the starter out re-feed the colony and make my bread.

The biggest thing was I avoided baking my normal bread during this time because I wanted the yeast from the whole wheat flour to take over, not my normal instant yeast I use for all the other breads.

From all the reading I did the only times you want to pitch it and start over is when the liquid is a blue color or you have mold spores growing on the surface of the starter.

And the last thing is that mine took almost a week and a half before it got that good sourdough funk smell.

I'm curious- has anyone tried inoculating a sourdough starter with some milled grain? That stuff is teeming with lactobacillus.

I'm tempted to mill a small handful of 2-row for the experiment.

i'm sure that could work. usually sourdough starters are made with a substantial portion of coarse rye ground (pumpernickel) and then once the yeast feeds off of that, it gets diluted with additions of bread flour until it's a normal sourdough starter. i've got a starter that is pushing 2 years old now and those who said local yeast dominate the flavor are right. sourdough is actually a bit of a misnomer in that san fran has a characteristic sour flavor due to the local strains and sourdoughs elsewhere will have their own characteristics, not necessarily sour. I feel the best sourdoughs are made with only starter, flour, water and salt.

Back