The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > 1st Charcuterie/Molecular Gastronomy Experiment, Maple Bacon Bourbon Balls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

The problem is that the vent in my oven vents back into my kitchen. So it's effectively worthless.

Good point on using store bought bacon. For some reason that didn't cross my mind, and my girlfriend's parent's run a pancake place in New Hampshire that gets this awesome maple glazed bacon. I bet that would go great in this recipe. Hmm I may have to find out if there's an Asian grocer around me.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
The problem is that the vent in my oven vents back into my kitchen. So it's effectively worthless.

Good point on using store bought bacon. For some reason that didn't cross my mind, and my girlfriend's parent's run a pancake place in New Hampshire that gets this awesome maple glazed bacon. I bet that would go great in this recipe. Hmm I may have to find out if there's an Asian grocer around me.
I bet that bacon would be amazing!!

I'm watching a Good Eats episode on onions and Alton Brown is making French Onion Soup in an old school Electric Skillet. He just carmalized the onions effortlessly by lust leaving them in it for 45 minutes at 200 degrees.

I'm thinking maybe one of these oldschool ones (which I see salvation armys all the time,) could be used as a hot smoking vessel instead. Just put a rack on the bottom to raise the bacon above the heating element, and put the pipe fitting on the lid. Might be better and more space efficient than using a toaster over.....

There might be an update to this thread this weekend.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

hoppyhoppyhippo Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

That's a sweet skillet. I imagine you could make that work out. I also wanted to try Alton Brown's flower pot smoker. Found that an interesting idea because you're basically running a temp controlled smoke so I could so a cold smoke on it. But I can't use it here, but I'm sure my brother or parents wouldn't mind me doing it there if I smoked some for them as well.

This is the bacon they get I believe, it's hard to tell but if it's not this bacon it's one a lot like it

http://ncsmokehouse.com/bacons/apple...-bacon-91.html

Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
waxhaw-new-brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this post, and the links included, is going to bring the monster out of me. my wife already banned the thought of hanging salami from the ceiling fan....buying pork belly this week. thanks revvy. where to get the pink salt....?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

Attempting to hot smoke some more maple bourbon bacon with the modified skillet, Venturi smoker combo.

image-205639581.jpg  

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhaw-new-brew View Post
this post, and the links included, is going to bring the monster out of me. my wife already banned the thought of hanging salami from the ceiling fan....buying pork belly this week. thanks revvy. where to get the pink salt....?
Butcher and Packer is the place to get stuff from. It's mentioned in Ruhlman's book. I'm lucky, I don't have to mail order. They're a Detroit based company.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Attempting to hot smoke some more maple bourbon bacon with the modified skillet, Venturi smoker combo.
I'm way off topic here, I know I know but doesn't Revvy's dishcloth look like a dog?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1507 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
He just carmalized the onions effortlessly by lust

His lust emits that much heat???

That is a MAN!

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin
Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Revvy, maybe it's because I haven't had real bacon in a while, but this is something I really want to try out. Of the many impressive things I've read from you, these bacon bourbon balls have got to rate amongst the coolest. On top of it, this thread is a twofer since you get a really tasty sounding maple bacon infused bourbon in the process as well. Thanks for giving me a great to-do!!!

Powdered bacon fat - wow.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If his closet looked like this, even Liberace would have a hard time coming out of it.

I support everything in this thread except whiskey with ice....

Quick Reply