Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > 1st Charcuterie/Molecular Gastronomy Experiment, Maple Bacon Bourbon Balls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithoa View Post
Tapioca is also big in Central/South American/African cuisine, marketed as manioc or cassava. You can buy the whole root sometimes just make sure to cook it thoroughly as it has natural cyanide compounds that can cause some unpleasant(mostly non-lethal) side effects.

I think it's the fact that the starch/maltodextrin is a fine powder that has the fat absorbing effect. I don't think fresh/cooked tapioca would work for what molecular gastronomists are doing with it.

I bet even using powdered sugar would work, but I think they use the tapioca maltodextrine because it is flavorless and lets the fat flavor shine through. Like I said earlier, folks are making olive oil powders these days with it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Crazy!

Just met a buddy who has a whole barn full of meat processing equipment and wants me to help him make jerky, bacon, and sausage! I will be contributing a lot more to this discussion soon!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Crazy!

Just met a buddy who has a whole barn full of meat processing equipment and wants me to help him make jerky, bacon, and sausage! I will be contributing a lot more to this discussion soon!

It's as addicting as homebrewing. I'm sure I'm gonna get into cheesemaking soon too.

What's he got for you? I'd really like a meat slicer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's as addicting as homebrewing. I'm sure I'm gonna get into cheesemaking soon too.

What's he got for you? I'd really like a meat slicer.
It is seriously like something out of a movie.

His family were butchers, and he just collected spare meat processing stuff randomly.

He has a deer processing kitchen to rival anybody's.

He claims that that it is a beef processing kitchen to rival anyones....

I picture commercial sh!t houses that could move more meat, but to put it on homebrew terms......

He has 4 , 40 gallon fermenters, and a 100 gallon ss pot fired by a leftover rocket from the space shuttle.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Sounds awesome!!!

I just tried some of my duck breast proscuitto, it's the first I've tried of anything I've had hanging since I started this. WOW. Kinda like trying my first homebrew- It was an, "I can't believe I really made this" moment.

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Damn, I'm going to have to keep away from them or they'll be all gone before I can share. I tried them last night, and once the excess bourbon fumes evaporated and the flavors came together, they are really amazing. You actually get a hit of bacon fat and bacon when it comes in contact with the tastebuds, THEN you get the bacon/bourbon notes when you bite into it, plus the texture of the pecans. These are pretty ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Revvy can I be your friend so I can get some Maple Bacon Bourbon balls? Maple+Bacon+Bourbon= Big win.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Just make them yourself....But yes you can.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I'll have to play around with my brother for them. I dont' have the means of smoking in my apartment, though maybe I can see fi I can find a way of doing it in my over on low.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I'll have to play around with my brother for them. I dont' have the means of smoking in my apartment, though maybe I can see fi I can find a way of doing it in my over on low.
If you have a good vent van on your oven you can do a vernturi cold smoker like I did, I'm actually looking for a small cheap toaster oven with a metal back because I've seen a few sites where folks have added a 1/2" pipe fitting like on my plastic smoker box, and have actually hooked their venturi smoker up to that and hot smoked in it.

There's also this idea from Chow magazine. Oven-Smoked Bacon Recipe

BUT you can still do the bacon balls by just buying good smoked bacon and infusing a bottle of bourbon with that and making the toppings with the drippings from store bought.

Quick Reply