Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Yet another DIY chilled cabinet

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Peeow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yet another DIY chilled cabinet

Gidday all, I have not long been doing homebrew and at the moment I'm just mucking around with store brought beer kits. I have been brewing spirit for a few years now, but have decided to include beer into it. I have started on my own take on a chilled/heated brew cabinet. as here in New Zealand it can get bloody hot in winter and pretty cold in winter. Therefore I fealt the need to accomodate both. The main cabinet is an old commercial oven that I acquired out of a restaurant. I have got the refrigeration side of it from a dehumidifier I had lying around. I seperated the evaporator and condensor, made the air box etc to surround the evaporator and included the fan inside the unit for frost free circulation. As it is at the moment, it is not completed as I still have to finish insulation, tiding up the wiring etc. But it is functional and I have put a spirit brew through it, it has definately improved the final product!! The brew that is in there at the mo is just a store bought malt kit. I have joined this forum to try and pick up some more helpful info on doing a beer brew from scratch, looks like I've come to the right place! I've put some photos below of the cabinet.

2012-04-12-10.21.33.jpg   2012-04-12-10.21.50.jpg   2012-04-12-10.22.02.jpg   2012-04-12-10.22.33.jpg   2012-04-12-10.23.20.jpg  

__________________
Peeow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,190
Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default




Dude that's awesome! Very very well done.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!
Reno_eNVy is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Polarbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 70
Likes Given: 1

Default

[QUOTE=Reno_eNVy;3984890]

What he said.!!!

__________________

Polarbeer

Bulls Run Brewery

"And on the 6th day God made Beer"

Polarbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nutty_gnome's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,070
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I really like you fermentation bucket. Those gradations are Awesme!

__________________

N_G
It could be worse.

nutty_gnome is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
EFaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 546
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

+1... that's awesome.

__________________

-Eric

EFaden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
sneezye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 11
Default

sweet as. let's get on the piss.

__________________
sneezye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeow View Post
Gidday all, I have not long been doing homebrew and at the moment I'm just mucking around with store brought beer kits. I have been brewing spirit for a few years now, but have decided to include beer into it. I have started on my own take on a chilled/heated brew cabinet. as here in New Zealand it can get bloody hot in winter and pretty cold in winter. Therefore I fealt the need to accomodate both. The main cabinet is an old commercial oven that I acquired out of a restaurant. I have got the refrigeration side of it from a dehumidifier I had lying around. I seperated the evaporator and condensor, made the air box etc to surround the evaporator and included the fan inside the unit for frost free circulation. As it is at the moment, it is not completed as I still have to finish insulation, tiding up the wiring etc. But it is functional and I have put a spirit brew through it, it has definately improved the final product!! The brew that is in there at the mo is just a store bought malt kit. I have joined this forum to try and pick up some more helpful info on doing a beer brew from scratch, looks like I've come to the right place! I've put some photos below of the cabinet.
Awesome set up man.

Hey dude my wife is is NZ right now in the south island and I want her to pick up some hops. If you are by her could you help her get some hops that I want?
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
kevink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 437
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Introducing your wife to a stranger from the internet seems like a great idea! It's for the hops!

__________________
kevink is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Introducing your wife to a stranger from the internet seems like a great idea! It's for the hops!
LOL you should meet my wife. She out shoots the cops regular with their guns. Nope not really worried about her but I have to pity the fool who tries to mess with her and she has her gun.
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
OilySheen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Owings Mills, MD
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman

LOL you should meet my wife. She out shoots the cops regular with their guns. Nope not really worried about her but I have to pity the fool who tries to mess with her and she has her gun.
As a firearms instructor and gun rights advocate you make me sad. It's irresponsible comments like these that give responsible gun owners a bad rap.

Back to the topic, OP, NICELY done!
__________________
OilySheen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Chilled Conical/Keg Fermenter Yuri_Rage DIY Projects 139 12-07-2013 01:47 PM
Kegerator cabinet pensphreak DIY Projects 16 05-08-2013 07:38 AM
Fridge In Cabinet hoaxci5 DIY Projects 8 04-13-2012 12:04 AM
Tap system, ethylene glycol chilled. shabedue DIY Projects 5 02-21-2012 11:49 PM
Fermentation Cabinet Choguy03 DIY Projects 32 09-29-2008 04:22 PM