Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Yet another 120V Ekeggle idea..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
SHvanBommel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yet another 120V Ekeggle idea..

I was thinking... I have a beautiful Brew Kettle (1barrel sanke conversion) but I now live in a tiny apartment (thanks to the divorce) and I don't have anywhere to put my Kettle to brew some beautiful AG beer... so what about.... with a paint can (saw this somewhere on the web) create a HERMS then for me brew pot, create a vessel with two heating elements, I believe the standard element would be a 2kw element (110v) totalling 4kw potential (yes, yes... different circuits in my house etc. etc. put on the tin foil hat and dance on one leg... i know i know...) fill it with water and create a BIGGER heat exchanger in my kettle where i would circulate this (hopefully) 220-240 Degree water (march 809 is rated to 250) and HOPEFULLY bring the wort to a nice roiling boil... any ideas? Have I confused anyone? Pictures to follow...
Thanks!

Last edited by SHvanBommel; 08-28-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There was something on here a while back where somebody used a pressure cooker, and put oil in it, then ran the water through that, and i think the temps got up significantly higher, and it would probably be easier to get a boil doing that...

Else, i would invest in an 8 gallon brew pot, some heat sticks, and resort to stove brewing...

but whatever you do, never go back to extract...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have no idea what you just said.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
SHvanBommel
Recipes 

ok so lets forget about the mashing process and concentrate on the kettle....

you build a box that will hold approximately 3 gallons of water with an "in" side and an "outside" with the pump on the "in side" (therefore pulling water through the system) then you have the "outside" pumping heated water (presumably 240degress) through a heat exchanger inside my brewpot (15 gallon kettle) with enough surface area to come in contact with a majority of the wort. then back through the pump, into the "in" side of the box containing the elements and back through again... i mean you can cool from 220 to approx 80 degree with cold water using a IC why can't you do the same with heat (i know it will take longer to heat but seriously...)

Old 08-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is not efficient. You will expend more energy than and time than would be practical, but it would probably work. Why not just put the element right in the wort? S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
SHvanBommel
Recipes 

because i don't want to corrupt a perfectly "working" kettle... this is only temp and i would only use it while i don't have a deck/backyard to work in... i would need a few heat sticks and you would still need to heat the mash and you would still have to make sure you didn't kill the boil (start burning stuff into "da" wort...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you are planing to mash and boil in the same kettle? If this is your plan, than go steam. On the whole "corrupt" thing, you are a home brewer. It is now in your nature to invent **** and by so doing "corrupt" a few good items for the cause. Just trust me on this one. LOL Good luck with your idea. It can not hurt to try. S.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
SHvanBommel
Recipes 

uhoh... perhaps I had one too many brew last night while i was trying to respond to the last question i really just don't want to put any holes in my kettle... I haven't seen enough evidence that 110 with 2 coils would be enough to get a good boil. no i'm not planning on mashing in the same kettle the mash would be in a 10 gallon igloo. I agree it would be relatively inefficient but... it would be an opportunity to continue AG brewing...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I do boil with electric to the tune of 10 gallon batches, I use one element that is 5500 watts and I do power it 220V. in this I get to boil in just over 25 minutes. 10 minutes better than my propane set up. Remember, you do not start out at 60 degrees, but rather 130 to 150 degrees after the mash is lautered. s

Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I boil electric to. 3800W 220V directly in the wort. Much faster and cheaper than propane.

Quick Reply