New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Yes, another diy cooler conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
I'm still confused, why do you have a manifold if you're gonna BIAB. ???
Sorry about that: I went back to the beginning and I see that I have a picture of the sparge manifold I built. I have modified that with an explanation. Also, I have a Teel pump that I bought years ago after reading an article in BYO about RIMS. I stopped brewing and never used it. I still have it and the speed controller, so I thought I could use it to recirculate in the same vessel. I don't think that would be sparging. It's probably more like a vorlauf. If I do use the pump, I guess I wouldn't really be using the Aussie BIAB method.

I guess my entire plan is not really the Aussie BIAB method. That method only uses a kettle and not MT. Damn, I guess it's really just a cooler MT with a bag inside!

Last edited by limulus; 11-13-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Sorry about that: I went back to the beginning and I see that I have a picture of the sparge manifold I built. I have modified that with an explanation. Also, I have a Teel pump that I bought years ago after reading an article in BYO about RIMS. I stopped brewing and never used it. I still have it and the speed controller, so I thought I could use it to recirculate in the same vessel. I don't think that would be sparging. It's probably more like a vorlauf. If I do use the pump, I guess I wouldn't really be using the Aussie BIAB method.

I guess my entire plan is not really the Aussie BIAB method. That method only uses a kettle and not MT. Damn, I guess it's really just a cooler MT with a bag inside!
No, I was talking about the copper manifold at the bottom. Seems if you did a Single infusion batch sparge with a copper manifold , that you wouldnt need to do BIAB. BUt I guess you were clarifying that you could do both right?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Yeah, the copper manifold is for the same job your bag is for. With that MLT (cooler, copper tube in bottom and valve) you just need to dump your water and grain into the cooler. The copper tube with holes in it strains out the wort and leaves the grain behind. You don't need the bag or the Steamer grate with that setup.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Jesse and Irregular Pulse,
You are both correct. I have a lot of redundancy in that cooler. I've had this cooler for years and the sparge contraption on the lid was put together by me about 15yrs ago. I stopped brewing and never used it. That and the copper were all inside the cooler when I opened it. That was supposed to be part of the whole RIMS thing I mentioned earlier. We moved 5yrs ago to a new house and I simply stored the coolers on a shelf in the garage until I started reading this forum. All I had to do last night was visit HD and pick up the parts for the valve.

The whole bag thing came about after I discovered this site. I just didn't want to have a HLT, MLT and BK and I started looking for ways to streamline. My problem is I had some leftover stuff from my previous brewing and I tried to use it all. Maybe my tendency to over think things is why I quit brewing the first time.

Thanks for politely pointing out that I'm an idiot

Last edited by limulus; 11-13-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Just didn't want you over complicating things.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply