New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > WTF... problems with rust in SS kegs around welds and HW heater element help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default WTF... problems with rust in SS kegs around welds and HW heater element help!

Hi there

One question. If a weld isn't ground completely flush or to remove any of the exterior material when welded, will that material rust?

Question 2 for electric brewers using SS kegs. Should I be getting surface rust on my element? If I use Bar keepers friend before a brew and when finished clean out and dry, will I continue to have problems? My single tier is so close to running, but this latest drawback is a PITA. Help and I can post pics of it if you need em.

Thanks

Flananuts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

For Q1: A proper weld made with the proper rod and not contaminated with another metal should not have to be ground or have any material removed. It does need to be passivated to restore the chromium. If the weld is rusting, the welder used the wrong rod (or wire) or they cleaned, brushed, ground or sanded the weld and/or welding area with something that contains ferrous metal or was contaminated by ferrous metal.

To clean it; scrub it well with a white scrubby and Bar Keepers Friend. This should remove the surface rust and repassivate the stainless. If it keeps coming back or is really deep, then the weld is contaminated and short or removing it and starting over, you'll have to keep up the BKF scrub routine.

Q2: Don't have an element and can't answer that.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

#2 The element itself should not rust, they are not mild steel. The face of the element will rust if you don't prevent it somehow. Water heaters use an anode. You could also use JB-Weld over the top of it (making the installation permanent). Also take a look into POR-15 "POR-15 is completely inert when fully cured. It gives off no chemicals or vapors."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the Barkeepers friend for now. I really don't want to make the element "permanently" installed. I'll also check the POR-15 out as well

Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
android
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

bumping this because when i went to use my heatsticks today, they had a bunch of surface rust on them... what'd you end up doing?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i cleaned them with bar keepers friend and then sanitized on the day of use. It works well to repassivate the metal.

Quick Reply