Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > WOULD THIS WORK IN a MASH TUN?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1839 Times on 1299 Posts
Likes Given: 3690

Default WOULD THIS WORK IN a MASH TUN?

So heres what I was just thinking about and am not sure if it would work. I plan to make a mash tun soon using Don Osborn's design http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

I was wondering if it would be possible to put 2 more stainless braids in there to help drainage and maybe prevent channeling. I would find an "X" fitting that would work and use that as the first fitting inside the cooler attaching the to the hose, the middle braid, and 2 extensions that lead to the other 2 braids. I was also thinking i may need to design something to keep their spacing and place in the cooler but wasnt sure if that would work or be practical to come up with.

Maybe i was just over thinkging this but i have never seen anyone do this, maybe there is a good reason. All advice and information is helpful and appreciated, Thanks!

Here is a quick mock up of what i am thinking, the green is the X fitting and extensions, the gray is the braids

mashtun07-completed.jpg  

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
finsfan

Recipes 

also, if anyone has done this what has your experience been with efficiency

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
finsfan

Recipes 

would this help with not getting a stuck sparge since there are 3 channels to filter or would this increase a chance of stuck sparge?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
half_whit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 88

My totally uneducated opinion is that 3 braided tubes wont help you much, as they're all still feeding into one hose. You can only push so much wort through it at a time. If you're really in a hurry, you could have three hoses coming off I suppose, but what's the rush! As far as stuck sparges....love the rice hulls my friend!

Planning: Heady Topper Clone,
Primary: Nutella Stout
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 70

It wouldn't help with a stuck mash, but it should speed up a slow runoff. Most likely if it clogs one braid, the others will follow suit.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Looks pointless. Great thing about braid is how simple it it. I average about 72% with a braid in a cooler. Only reason mash would get stuck is user error. If you run off slowly at first to set the grain bed, you won't stick the mash. I don't even have a valve, just a white hose clip. I've recently done brews with 40-50% raw wheat with no problem. The turbid mash I did did get stuck during the sparge, probably because my corona mill makes a lot of flour. I just scraped the gummy junk off the top without disturbing grain bed and finished lautering, no problem.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
finsfan

Recipes 

thanks for the advice. I guess the idea wasnt really to speed things up but get as much out of possible. It probably is overkill which is why i havent seen one done like this yet haha. I had the idea so i thought id ask, thanks for the help

Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
Maybe i was just over thinkging
Impossible.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
mattmeiske12
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

From my experience, I have had nothing but problems with those flimsy braids. They are so hard to work with after you do your first batch because they bend and torque all around and can't get them to go back to their original form.

IMO, the better route to go would be the CPVC/PVC manifold with slits cut in them or buy one of the stronger grade braids at the homebrew store.

I'm assuming since you have such a large cooler for your mash tun, that you'll be doing 10+ gal batches. I would not want to get a stuck sparge doing those size batches.

Bottled: Harvest Ale, Mojito Pale Ale (Lime and Punishmint), French Saison (w/Brett), Nugget Nectar Clone, Chocolate PB Stout, Hot Chocolate (Chocolate Chili Stout), Kobe (Chocolate Oak Yeti Clone), Defendant (Black IPA)
On Deck: Cinnamon Raisin Strong Ale

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
finsfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeiske12 View Post
From my experience, I have had nothing but problems with those flimsy braids. They are so hard to work with after you do your first batch because they bend and torque all around and can't get them to go back to their original form.

IMO, the better route to go would be the CPVC/PVC manifold with slits cut in them or buy one of the stronger grade braids at the homebrew store.

I'm assuming since you have such a large cooler for your mash tun, that you'll be doing 10+ gal batches. I would not want to get a stuck sparge doing those size batches.
yeah ill be getting a 70 or 100 qt cooler so i can do high gravity 10 gal batches. Im thinking i may just get a bazooka screen instead of the braid. I also thought about a CPVC manifold but that might be an upgrade i do in the future. Why are slits made instead of holes on the manifolds? would it make a difference if you drilled a lot of tiny holes instead of slits?

Quick Reply