Would this be a suitable filter element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a company that tests air and water filters, so I know EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about filters... This is a very nice filter. The smaller the micron rating, the better the filter is at catching crap (efficiency). One think to keep in mind, the better a filter's efficiency, the quicker it will plug up. But seeing as you wont be running thousands of gallons through the thing, I would for sure opt for the 0.45micron filter. I know for a fact that Ebay has TONS of water filters and housings listed... you will likely pay much less going that rout.

The 0.45 micron filter won't be too fine a filter? That's my concern main concern.

Should I be worried about that having an impact on the beer's flavor?

I assume you are using this to filter your water before you start to brew? I have a 0.5 micron LARGE whole house filter plumbed into the water line from my well right where the water comes into the house... It is a great big string-wound filter. Does a great job for me. I would not go below the 0.45 micron, down to say 0.10 micron. That would be totally pointless. 0.45 will do a great job of filtering out rust and things like that. Keep in mind it wont SOFTEN the water, just clean it up.

As far as having a flavor impact on the beer... I wouldn't think so, but can not be for sure.

Is this going to be for a brew stand or what???

Holy crap, haha, glad I asked. I thought you were using it as a water filter, and not a beer filter. Yeah, I have no idea then, as far as how this would affect your brew. It would filter the hell out of it though. But you may have a hard time with sanitizing it for the transfer... and then what do you do with it afterward. I would not go this rout IMHO.

I generally use a 5 micron filter going from keg to keg. A 0.45 micron will block almost everything, except single-cell organisms. That includes any clumps of yeast.

Back