Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Wort filter in-line? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-filter-line-274092/)

OEHokie 10-12-2011 03:02 PM

Wort filter in-line?
 
Does anyone have any suggestions for an in-line filter? My solenoid valves and pump get clogged from time to time, which I'd like to avoid. It'd be nice if it were somehow replaceable while brewing, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be done.

CoalCracker 10-12-2011 03:13 PM

Are you trying to filter from the MLT or after the boil into the fermenter?

OEHokie 10-12-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoalCracker (Post 3381936)
Are you trying to filter from the MLT or after the boil into the fermenter?

Either really. Normally when I transfer to the fermenter I run the wort through a mesh, but that has already passed through at least one solenoid valve and the pump. I'm trying to get stuff before those. Same would apply to the MLT.

Tinga 10-12-2011 04:59 PM

does it need to be inline or can it be before the wort leaves the kettle?

LordUlrich 10-12-2011 06:04 PM

First what are you using as a false bottom in your mt? The solution coming out should be mostly clear or your fb is not working right.

Out of the kettle try letting things settle for a little longer and use a baffle or some kind to keep the crud out.

By adding a filter you are creating a filter which is more pulley to clog than your pump or valves, plusses something which will be far harder to clean and sanitize.

OEHokie 10-12-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinga (Post 3382331)
does it need to be inline or can it be before the wort leaves the kettle?

I was looking for inline because there isn't a lot of room at the bottom of the kettle. There's a temp sensor immediately above the drain hole (~1 inch above) and the heating elements are also nearby.

I may just need to be more careful with the ingredients and have them all in mesh filtered bags. Probably the cheaper solution... just wasn't sure if there was a product out there I could use as a backup.

OEHokie 10-12-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordUlrich (Post 3382542)
First what are you using as a false bottom in your mt? The solution coming out should be mostly clear or your fb is not working right.

Out of the kettle try letting things settle for a little longer and use a baffle or some kind to keep the crud out.

By adding a filter you are creating a filter which is more pulley to clog than your pump or valves, plusses something which will be far harder to clean and sanitize.

Sorry, didn't see yours... I actually don't have a MT. I've got a single vessel setup where I use a SS mesh basket to hold the grain (when I do partials). I will probably just be more careful by bagging more things.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.