Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wort Chiller Faucet Connection Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Stephen_mc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wort Chiller Faucet Connection Help?

Just built myself a wort chiller and now I can't figure how to connect to my faucet. I have one of those pull out spray faucets. Which I'm able to remove ok. But I can't seem to find a hose barb that will connect to the female thread. I've tried the 1/4 MIP which is too small and the 3/8 Mip is too big. Don't seem to able to get anything in between. Any suggestions. I'm trying to hook to a tube with a 3/8 id. I'm certainly no plumming expert, any advice would be appreciated.177.jpg

178.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I could be wrong but I think you may need an adapter from sink to garden hose. Then you can use standard garden hose fittings, such as 3/4" MIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 99

It may be a compression connection. Bring the hose in to your plumbing source and find something that fits.
or
Many/most faucets have a nozzle on the end that can be unscrewed. You may have better luck converting the actual faucet to a garden hose connection and using a garden hose to hose barb adapter.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
It may be a compression connection. Bring the hose in to your plumbing source and find something that fits.
or
Many/most faucets have a nozzle on the end that can be unscrewed. You may have better luck converting the actual faucet to a garden hose connection and using a garden hose to hose barb adapter.
Or just buy a $30 immersion pump with garden hose fittings and drop it in a cooler of ice water. Works much better than tap water....

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
tearoney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I stole this picture off of HBT... A few months ago. I cant remember who did this, but they bought an adapter that splits the water to the faucet and a ball valve, neat little DIY project. You can go to HD and buy the adapter and the ball valve, plus some other attachment. I bet it

image-4228153828.jpg

would be less than $20, maybe $30 at the most.
I am going to try this for my winter brewing, the Colorado water that comes out of the tap is very cold! I actually have everything from various home improvement projects, I just need to put it together.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Stephen_mc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the tips guys, plenty of options to ponder.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy View Post
Or just buy a $30 immersion pump with garden hose fittings and drop it in a cooler of ice water. Works much better than tap water....
I've used a 2nd chiller in a bucket of ice to pre-chill my tap water prior to running it through my immersion chiller and it reduced my wort temperature drop time by maybe 25%.

What you're proposing, unless I misunderstand, is to continuously pump ice water through the immersion chiller? Would you be re-circulating or continuously adding ice and tap water to the cooler. Either way, its seems like you would go through a LOT of ice.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii
I've used a 2nd chiller in a bucket of ice to pre-chill my tap water prior to running it through my immersion chiller and it reduced my wort temperature drop time by maybe 25%.

What you're proposing, unless I misunderstand, is to continuously pump ice water through the immersion chiller? Would you be re-circulating or continuously adding ice and tap water to the cooler. Either way, its seems like you would go through a LOT of ice.
It's recirculating through the chiller and back to the cooler. I start with about two inches of water and a five pound bag of ice, and add a second bag after the first one completely melts. Not much ice or expense, and hit pitching temp fast.

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Quick Reply