Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wort Chiller Copper tube size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi3000
I just bought 50' of 1/2" OD copper tubbing that I was going to make into a double coiled wort chiller. Do you think this length is too much for even a double coiled chiller?
thanks
tricky
If it fits in your pot, you can't really have too much. Now, there's a law of diminishing returns at work - by the time the water reaches the last ten feet of the tubing, it's already been warmed up by the wort a good amount and won't pull out MUCH more heat - but it'll still be better than a 25 foot chiller.

What you might think about, though, is to use some of that tubing for a prechiller, especially for the summer. Run the water through a bucket of ice before it goes through the wort.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #22
aseelye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee
Stirring is the key to a fast cool, but we all fear the little bugs that could result. I haven't built it yet, but plan on doing an immersion/whirlpool setup to keep the wort moving around the coils and the lid on top the kettle. If you have a pump just cycle the wort out of the kettle and back through the top to a tube set at such an angle to create a whirlpool. This way you don’t have to stir by hand and you get an automatic whirlpool. Jamil Zainasheff spells it out on his web page.
Not sure what you mean by bugs, but when you stir, you aren't whisking or anything, just swirling the wort to make sure that you aren't getting a cold pocket around the chiller. I have a 50' 3/8" chiller that gets my 6 gal batches down to 65 degrees in 15 minutes, and under 150 in a couple minutes.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseelye
Not sure what you mean by bugs
I might be overly paranoid, but stirring cooled wort to aid in cooling and/or to whirlpool makes me nervous. Who knows what kind of nasty bugs (bacteria/wild yeast) are in the air or even fall off your arm. The reason bottle trees work is because the bottle opening faces down and bacteria and wild yeast don’t fall up. I like the whirlpool chiller method because it lets you cover your wort right after boiling and leave it covered.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #24
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
I might be overly paranoid...
Yup.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
fifelee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Yup.
Hey, to expand on my theory that "bugs” can fall off oneself into the wort, did you know a ten-year-old mattress typically weights twice what a new mattress does. Yummy. {insert smiling nuance}

Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #26
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Hey, to expand on my theory that "bugs” can fall off oneself into the wort, did you know a ten-year-old mattress typically weights twice what a new mattress does. Yummy. {insert smiling nuance}
I try really hard to keep the spooge out of the brews though (except cream ales).

Thanks for perhaps the most disgusting factoid I've heard in the past two years.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #27
fifelee

Recipes 

Exactly what I am saying…I love my wort soooo much I’ll take drastic measures to protect her. That said…the added spooge does negate all my hard work. Your welcome.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
Chillbrook
Recipes 

A question for you guys:

I can get 12' of 1/2" 'M' (much lighter than the tubing labeled 'L') for $15 CDN, would that be sufficient for a chiller? How difficult is it to bend 1/2 tubing by hand?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You need the soft stuff that is sold in a coil, not the individual straight "pipes". The soft stuff is just easy enough to tighten up the existing coil, but anything more than a 6" radius is asking for a kink. They sell spring sleeve anti-kink devices for each tubing size if you want to make a more drastic bend.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #30
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You need the soft stuff that is sold in a coil, not the individual straight "pipes". The soft stuff is just easy enough to tighten up the existing coil, but anything more than a 6" radius is asking for a kink. They sell spring sleeve anti-kink devices for each tubing size if you want to make a more drastic bend.
Ah ok, damn, guess I'll have to look harder....

Quick Reply