Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wormaeter, free,quick,effective, wort aerator!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
aarong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Awesome. I read up some more on the shaking method according to a test that wottaguy conducted with a diffused oxygen meter he shook a fermentation bucket for 6 min and only got 4.6 ppm well bellow the recommended 8 ppm.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/o2-...-meter-318420/

Edit: jamils yeast book states shaking gets 2.5 - 4.5 ppm from the shaking method.

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

BridgewaterBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #22
LoudounBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey,

Thanks for the testing. I tried a similar set up on my last brew. I used an old hard plastic tube - maybe from a bottling wand, but can't remember. I put the hard plastic tube with a small hole drilled into it between soft tubing (the hard plastic is smaller diameter) and let the wort the flow. It seemed to work pretty well. I could see the air bubbles circulating as they went down toward the carboy.

However, one thing that I've noticed from various threads is that to get the full effect, you seem to need to reduce the diameter both before and after the hole. In a sense, I'm just reducing the diameter before the hole but not after.

Anyway, I'll give this a try. I don't brew high gravity beer - usually pales ales around a starting OG of 1.050 - so 8 ppm should be fine, i.e. don't need the oxygen.

Thanks again for taking the time to test this out.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Less than a buck.
People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #24
aarong
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudounBrew
Hey,

Thanks for the testing. I tried a similar set up on my last brew. I used an old hard plastic tube - maybe from a bottling wand, but can't remember. I put the hard plastic tube with a small hole drilled into it between soft tubing (the hard plastic is smaller diameter) and let the wort the flow. It seemed to work pretty well. I could see the air bubbles circulating as they went down toward the carboy.

However, one thing that I've noticed from various threads is that to get the full effect, you seem to need to reduce the diameter both before and after the hole. In a sense, I'm just reducing the diameter before the hole but not after.

Anyway, I'll give this a try. I don't brew high gravity beer - usually pales ales around a starting OG of 1.050 - so 8 ppm should be fine, i.e. don't need the oxygen.

Thanks again for taking the time to test this out.
Chumpsteak
that's the exact effect I was pushing for but I put one together with some worm clamps I had laying around. I like to see the Venturi effect at work there looks awesome!

Londounbrew

I tried the hard plastic with small hole ideas I was unsuccessful with it. In my opinion it is creating a turbulence effect from the wort hitting the corner of the smaller tube called in fluid mechanics an "orifice in a pipe effect". The water around the changing diameter almost circulates and pulls in some air with it. The pressure difference is minimal compared to a full Venturi. http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluid...meter.cfm#calc

Let me know how the device works out! I'm excited to hear about it and I'm more then happy to answer any questions about it.

Cheers

Aaron

Vissani fermentor build

hambonez Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #25
stevej21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post

Less than a buck.
I think I'm definitely gonna have to pick up one of those tee's and give this a shot!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #26
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Lol.... I think the overflowing carboy is call for getting your money back!! This is all the OP's FAULT!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
aarong
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch
Lol.... I think the overflowing carboy is call for getting your money back!! This is all the OP's FAULT!
It is my fault and I am ashamed. I will painfully take that batch away from you.

Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 282

I've been using the venturi method of aeration for years with great results. I heated a paper clip and melted a tiny hole in the vinyl hose from my kettle valve. Much easier than shaking.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #29
hambonez
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Thanks

Aarong,

Very cool. Thanks for the supper simple version to create the venturi effect. I'm going to throw one of those tees on after my counterflow chiller and see how it works.

Have you seen the wortwizard? Which seems similar to this. People are using the venturi effect with the force of the garden hose flow before a chiller as a pump. If you're running the water anyway to chill your wort, why not use some of the potential energy to move it around?

I may have to incorporate one of these as well. Venturi Brewing! Maybe just to start a siphon? With a shut off for after I get the flow as far as I would like? I'll be siphoning into a bucket, so I won't have the carboy to create a vacuum, as required for the wortwizard setup.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #30
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thanks for the idea, works like a charm, no more shakin for this guy

Quick Reply