*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wood Single tier brew stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Pombe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just as I'm getting ready to start planning my own wooden rig and I've got all this apprehension because I don't want to set the neighbourhood on fire...this thread pops up. Setup looks great! What are you using as cross beams? Is that angle iron? Are you brewing full 10 gallon batches and if so, how do the crossbeams stand up to the weight and heat? Last question, dimension in inches from the side of your keggle to the wooden framework?

Thanks tons!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #12
brewluver
Recipes 

The cross beams actually came from a telecom rack used to hold really heavy rectifiers. I was planning on using angle iron but i came across the rack at work and cut it down. I haven't done any 10 gallon batches yet, but my next batch i make will be my first 10 gallon batch. of BM's centennial blonde, that stuff is great. But even for 5 gallon batches i fill my HLT up to 12 gallon point so i have left over hot water to flush my lines, pump, and CFC. I haven't seen even the slightest flex. I can't say enough about how happy i am with the wood frame.

As for the space between the Keg and wood frame, I went with 6 inches because like you i was concerned about the wood getting too hot. I probably could have gone down to 4 inches as the wood doesn't get hot at all.

Last edited by brewluver; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Interesting thread. For the others considering a wooden frame, heat was an issue for me. I have my keggles mounted on angle iron, but with the flame kicked up, the bars would get so hot on the wood frame where they attached I had some major charring. Even with the addition of wind/heat guards (stainless steel).

So I had to remove that piece and I took a page from Scubasteve's build and used Durock cement board in its' place.

I have made some other minor adjustments to the stand, and it works great. Hope this helps some.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
brewluver
Recipes 

interesting, looks like you are using alot bigger burners than me. That might be the cause of the charring. The cross beams i have do not even get hot to the touch after a 90 minute boil where the metal meets the wood.

Quick Reply