Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wood Brutus 10

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
AtomicGecko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wood Brutus 10

Have been doing a lot of research through the beer forums...I really like this design. I have started building. Since my talent lies more in wood working rather than metal working I built the frame out of wood. I did find a few example of Wood Brutus 10s to follow. Yes I use propane and my current rig is wood. With air gap and some metal shielding there is no problem. The picture below chronicles the build to date. I'll post picture as I progress and funding allows.

Starting to put together the frame... squaring the corners

Top and bottom frame constructed

Attaching the vertical supports

Basic frame constructed

Fitting the wind screen/heat shield. Yes it is stainless sheet...some recently acquired scrap cut and fitted in a trough shape. The burners will go inside.

Added a top rail

Added casters

Applied stain

Applied 2 coats of polyurethane

1 1/2" angle iron will serve to support the keggles. It is cut to length and drilled for...1/2 x 4" bolts will attach to frame...cross members are coming that will go width wise across the angle iron support.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Installed the side rails tonight. Will buy 1 1/4" square tube as the cross members to support the keggles when payday hits.

This is the last picture for now. Will post more as I do more.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Very nice work!
No offense to Lonnie... His system is excellent
What defines a Brutus Clone?

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm building a wood brutus type rig as well and I think I got a little overzealous with the size of it. I used 2x6's as the top and bottom and mitered the corners like you did. Instead of nails I used lug bolts (got a whole bunch for free and they look cool). I wasn't planning on doing a top rail but I like the idea.

What's the purpose of the stainless basin and what kind of burners are you planning on using? Two of my burners are going to be the BG14's and the center burner on the mash tun is the six inch mulit hole burner. My whole system will be low pressure since I'm using the honeywell 8200 valves.

I was looking to cut down my rig's size to closer to what you have there but was worried about scorching the wood. Care to share your measurements? I plan on staining and coating it and lining the interior with aluminum flashing. I thought it might help also if I put a spacer behind the aluminum to keep it off of the wood about a 1/2". Also, I was planning on using aluminum for windshields around the burner.

My keggles will actually be inset enough that the valves come out just over the top edge of the wood stand (much like ScubaSteves wood rig). I've been out of the country for quite awhile now and can't wait to get back and finish what I started. I've been buying the parts over the last several months so they'll be waiting for me when I get home... STOKED!!

EDIT: How do you plan on mounting your burners?

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think what define a clone is cloning his process. Looking at RIMS systems and HERMS systems I like the direct fired mash. This is actually a clone of of another wood Brutus I found on HomeBrewTalk. I bought the plan's to Lonnie's system through BYO and loved the simplicity of the process. My brew rig has gone through many iterations and I think his process may be the best marriage of simple process/design and automation.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@ Collinsbrew....

Sure, the overall dimensions are 66" long, 24" wide, and 24" tall. I used 2x4s for the framing. It's actually a little taller since it's on casters. I copied rhutter's design (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wood...roject-171462/). He suggested making it a little longer to give more space between keggles so I did. The length of his is 60".

The Stainless steel basin is going to be the windscreen/heat shield. I happened to get it as scrap for free. most of it was already pre-bent so a little extra cutting and bending and ...voila...a little overkill but it was free. Also since the vertical studs are on the inside where the basin mounts it creates an insulating air gap.

My current stand is made of wood with much less gap but shielded with tin you make ducts from. no problem with scorching. Also knew the 2x4's would be plenty strong since the load is well distributed...plus I got the 2x4's as scrap too...gotta love free stuff.

Last edited by AtomicGecko; 10-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I plan on mounting the burners to the basin using L-brackets. That basin is some pretty stout stuff. I plan on using black iron pipe as the gas line which will also provide some support. I'll have to cut holes under the burners to allow for good air flow.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A minor update. Installed the cross members to support the keggles. Up next is to buy my burners...thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to go with the 10" banjo's for all of them. Here are a couple of new pics.

Fermenters: Empty
Kegs: Vanilla Porter and Smoked Chipotle Ale, Barley Wine Partigyle
Bottles: Barley Wine, Smoked Stout, Orange Clove Mead, Raspberry Mead, Hard Cider
Up next: Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
BGates14
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Immediately following in your footsteps, been looking for a great wood structure to go off of and build mine. This one is perfect, how do you plan on installing the burners? And I see you got that metal shield from scrap, if I wanted the same thing is that available for purchase anywhere? What would you use to substitute if you didn't find that?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
AtomicGecko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen it in Home depot and Lowes for the sheet steal. I'm planning on cutting hole in the bottom in the diameter of the burners and then attaching with L-brackets. The burners will be basically resting on the bottom...the holes are to allow for good air flow for combustion. The sheet steal I have on there is pretty stout stuff and will support the weight of the burners. As a substitute I'd install a second rail and run cross members to support the burners. The angle iron for the second rail and cross members don't have to be as large as the primary rail...I'd use 1/2" stuff...since all it needs to support are the burners.

Fermenters: Empty
Kegs: Vanilla Porter and Smoked Chipotle Ale, Barley Wine Partigyle
Bottles: Barley Wine, Smoked Stout, Orange Clove Mead, Raspberry Mead, Hard Cider
Up next: Pliney the Elder Clone

Quick Reply