Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wiring Gods/Geeks - I need help with switch bling.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Default Wiring Gods/Geeks - I need help with switch bling.

Ok, so I've got these nifty switches in my control panel - they're NKK model M2100 SPDT. The nifty thing about them is they have a LED in the tip of the switch that glows red when the switch is off and green when the switch is on. The specs are here -

http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/M2100.pdf

I've got them installed in a Brutus-style control panel and they're working fine for operating the components but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the LEDs lighting. The switches have six connections and, if anyone looks at the diagram, I'm thinking I need to send power to the #5 terminal and a return from the #4 and #6 terminals. But then I'm wondering if I need resistors, if I need to try and build an independent power circuit for the switches, etc...

Can anyone who actually knows what they're doing with this stuff help me out with this? (I'm trying to cut and paste the diagrams from the specs, but its not working... sorry...)

Thanks.

Gordie.

__________________

Last edited by Gordie; 03-06-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Gordie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 455
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
Ok, so I've got these nifty switches in my control panel - they're NKK model M2100 SPDT. The nifty thing about them is they have a LED in the tip of the switch that glows red when the switch is off and green when the switch is on. The specs are here -

http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/M2100.pdf

I've got them installed in a Brutus-style control panel and they're working fine for operating the components but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the LEDs lighting. The switches have six connections and, if anyone looks at the diagram, I'm thinking I need to send power to the #5 terminal and a return from the #4 and #6 terminals. But then I'm wondering if I need resistors, if I need to try and build an independent power circuit for the switches, etc...

Can anyone who actually knows what they're doing with this stuff help me out with this? (I'm trying to cut and paste the diagrams from the specs, but its not working... sorry...)

Thanks.

Gordie.
What voltage/type are you switching? ie: 120VAC or 12VDC
Brewers Hardware is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 455
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Which model # switch do you actually have?

Brewers Hardware is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
ClaudiusB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,264
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Quote:
I'm thinking I need to send power to the #5 terminal and a return from the #4 and #6 terminals.
If you are using the 2113 Synchronous Bicolor version

Only pin 5 (+) and pin 6 (-) require wiring.
Switching to the up position connects 5 & 4 changing the color.
It's like moving the LED's to the right side.

You need to install a resitor based on your DC supply voltage.
If you are planning on using AC to light the LED's you will no longer have the RED or Green color, color turns orange regardless of position.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
ClaudiusB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Hi.

The model is the 2112 Synchronous bicolor version. I'm running 120vac from the wall into the control panel, which looks like it isn't going to work.

So if I'm reading this right, I'm better off wiring a separate circuit with a battery, (+) to 5 and (-) to 6. Is there an easy way to get 12vdc off the 120vac I'm currently using and just wire up a separate bus for the LEDs? (I'm quite the wiring newb...)

Gordie.

__________________
Gordie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
ClaudiusB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,264
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Quote:
Is there an easy way to get 12vdc off the 120vac I'm currently using and just wire up a separate bus for the LEDs? (I'm quite the wiring newb...)
Use a cheap wall adapter 5V or any DC out, just install the correct resistor based on the adapter voltage and LED current .


Cheers,
ClaudiusB
__________________
My Brewery Pics
Grain Mill Glycol Chiller
Keg Washer
ClaudiusB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 973
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Radioshack has DC wall adaptors that should work for this. They're actually adjustable anywhere from 3V-12V DC. About $20.00 shipped...

__________________

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

rsmith179 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Ok. I think I'm getting it.

By the way - ClaudiusB - I checked out your brewery pics. Good lord, man. That looks like NASA and Dogfish Head had a kid.

So - in the interest of furthering my DIY abilities (which are quite newly founded and weak) I have an extra adaptor for my laptop lying around. Would it make sense to cut off the plugs and wire that from the busses I have in my control panel and send the output to a new bus and resistor to use for the LEDs? I have some room in my panel and could fit it inside without much problem.

Other than that, I'm not seeing an indication of the LED current in the specs to calculate what resistor I would need. Am I missing something?

I really appreciate the help, guys. I've been trying to figure this out on my own but this is way out of my skill-set. If y'all need any legal advice, let me know.

Gordie.

__________________
Gordie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
ClaudiusB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,264
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Continuous forward current for Toggle Switch type CF is 10 mA.
Forward voltage 1.9 V


Quote:
Would it make sense to cut off the plugs and wire that from the busses I have in my control panel and send the output to a new bus and resistor to use for the LEDs?
Yes

Open the adaptor, remove the board and the 120 V prongs, replace prongs with soldered wires.

Sample idea



Cheers,
ClaudiusB
__________________
My Brewery Pics
Grain Mill Glycol Chiller
Keg Washer
ClaudiusB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
yeoldebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: American Southwest
Posts: 446
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Claudius, your brewery looks like the Starship Enterprise--that's amazing!


A link to a website for calculating values of resistors in LED circuits:

Resistor Calculator

__________________

My airlock passes gas.

yeoldebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLING BLING Electric HERMS Conversion The Pol Equipment/Sanitation 730 08-31-2013 08:44 AM
LED-tipped toggle switch wiring P-Lay DIY Projects 13 06-22-2010 08:38 PM
Another "lighted switch" wiring question datamike DIY Projects 15 03-11-2009 04:21 PM
float switch wiring help seanhagerty Equipment/Sanitation 4 10-13-2008 12:54 AM
Bling enohcs Home Brewing Photo Forum 12 09-23-2008 04:52 AM