Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Winterizing Refrigerator in an unheated garage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Redbeard5289
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Winterizing Refrigerator in an unheated garage

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but my 1/2 hour of searching the forum provided no information.

This spring I inherited a fridge from my grandparents (5 year old Estate model) and promptly turned it into a kegerator for my garage. Love the thing... no more bottling for me

However I began to think about this winter and how cold it can get here in SouthEastern Minnesota (Rochester MN) and wondering if anyone had any solutions or DIY projects they might have did to keep their refrigerator going during the cold months of winter and hold a temp properly for beer serving.

I don't want to have the refrigerator break/stop working due to the cold climate nor do I want to fix frozen tap lines either this winter. As a last resort I could move the kegerator down to the basement for the winter but I am looking to avoiding a lot of heavy lifting and hours of convincing the SWMBO that the kegerator needs to be relocated inside.

Any insight would be appreciative on this subject. I know i have a few months ahead of me before I really need to start worrying but I have time and resources available to me this summer.

Thanks
Redbeard 5289

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I'm in Wisconsin and my fridge is in the garage all year. No problems at all. Maintains good serving temp.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Winter temps won't hurt it any. Don't even give it a second thought.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
1purpleranger
Recipes 

im in central illinois and have frozen the kegs before. now im gonna wire a temp controller and a heat source inside the fridge before winter!! also help to keep my beer at a steadier temp in the summer months or a second lager chamber.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1purpleranger View Post
im in central illinois and have frozen the kegs before. now im gonna wire a temp controller and a heat source inside the fridge before winter!! also help to keep my beer at a steadier temp in the summer months or a second lager chamber.
Check your seals. It should be holding the temp.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
1purpleranger
Recipes 

oh its good the seals are fine its only five years old. the garage is not insulated and detached from the house. it gets too cold in the winter and the compressor shuts down, however mother nature dosent and i end up with frozen beer!! cant wait to install my wood burner!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
oh its good the seals are fine its only five years old. the garage is not insulated and detached from the house. it gets too cold in the winter and the compressor shuts down, however mother nature dosent and i end up with frozen beer!! cant wait to install my wood burner!
My garage is not insulated and its detached and my fridge is a good 20 to 25 years old.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew99 View Post
My garage is not insulated and its detached and my fridge is a good 20 to 25 years old.
does your fridge have a freezer, and what happens in that?

The main reason I've read for not using a refrigerator in an unheated garage in the winter is that at temps 32-45 F, the compressor would not run enough to keep the freezer section cold. If you are only using the fridge section, you should be OK.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts

Without wanting to be Captain Obvious, a fridge that stays weeks on end , outside (or in an unheated garage) at temperatures below freezing will eventually freeze the beer, no matter how good the seal is on the door.

As a rule of thumb, all temperatures eventually equalize.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
broadbill Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
This is exactly what I did: simply wired up a lamp base on a junction box and ran the power out the same hole in the side of the fridge my temp probe and gas line go. As soon as the temp in the fridge starts falling below where I want it, I unplug the fridge power and plug in the light. A 60w bulb turning on occasionally kept my serving fridge at a comfortable 6c all through a brutal winter in an unheated outbuilding, and my ferm chamber at a toasty 21c whenever I needed it to be.

Quick Reply