Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wine cooler as lagering fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
ak47clown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine cooler as lagering fridge?

So I'm gonna be picking up a haier 20 bottle wine fridge in hopes of getting into some lagering. The thing has a built in digital thermostat with a range of 45-60 degrees F (score) so for 65 bucks i figured i couldn't go wrong. My question is-i see that some beers are lagered a temperatures as low as 35 so does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way of converting this to be able to drop down that low? (i suppose i pickup a $50 thermostat control but i was hoping to maybe do something a little more clever with what i got...)

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

On some fridges you can adjust the thermostat to get them to go colder. There's a forum here, you may be able to find something Keg Beer Dispensing Discussion Forum - Kegerator - Powered by vBulletin

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
OLB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47clown View Post
So I'm gonna be picking up a haier 20 bottle wine fridge in hopes of getting into some lagering. The thing has a built in digital thermostat with a range of 45-60 degrees F (score) so for 65 bucks i figured i couldn't go wrong. My question is-i see that some beers are lagered a temperatures as low as 35 so does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way of converting this to be able to drop down that low? (i suppose i pickup a $50 thermostat control but i was hoping to maybe do something a little more clever with what i got...)
Where did you find that for $65?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
ak47clown
Recipes 

craigslist is awesome sometimes

Secondary:

Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47clown View Post
If you are thinking of the temperature controller that you plug the unit into, it will not get the temp to go lower, only higher. Think about it, it is interrupting current to the fridge when the temperature gets as low as XX degrees. Now, if you are planning on ripping out the fridge's existing temp controller and replace with a Love unit or something similar, that's a different story, but a lot more work.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
ak47clown
Recipes 

True... i saw another thread on here where some guy was able to trick the fridge by placing the temp sensor in an area outside the fridge so it would think it's warmer than it really is. But that really wouldn't get me the control i want. We'll see-i figure since it's so cheap, i can stand to mess around with it.

Secondary:

Quick Reply