*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Will stainless hose braid filter out trub / hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Douglefish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Will stainless hose braid filter out trub / hops

I currently whirlpool my wort, and just started recycling my wort from the counter flow back into the kettle to get more cold break out? I have an extra braid that I never used and was tempted to try to use it to filter out the hot/cold break and pellet hop material from getting into my fermenter. Currenty I just stop when the break material starts to go into the tube, but I am wasting quite a bit of wort even on non hoppy beers.

Whirlfloc and cold break produce a lot of material!!!

I'll probably try it anyway since I don't really have the means of making a diverter plate. Just wanted to see if anyone else does this?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1. I just don't worry about it. A little break material in the fermenter won't hurt a thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
KingKegII
Recipes 

My kettle has a boil screen on the dip tube. I know it's not the same thing as a SS braid, but the only time the boil screen has clogged was when I did a pumpkin ale and had a ton of pumpkin in the kettle. I haven't tried it w/ whole hops or plugs; I use pellets in a mesh bag and have never had a problem. But if you just throw your hops in the BK & combined w/ the break, I agree w/ BargainFittings you're likely to clog the braid.

As for the break, I don't worry about getting some in my fermentor, because there are nutrients in the break that are good for your yeast, especially zinc. Heck, lately I don't even bother w/ a secondary. I'd rather not waste the beer by leaving a quart here, a quart or 2 there. I've never noticed any problems w/ my beer. I guess the only time I'd worry about getting a lot of break and hop material in my fermentor was if I was doing a really pale and/or low gravity beer.

Cheers.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
brewpal
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I use a braid as the filter on my BK. Only whole hops and no recirculating. Works great.

I suspect it may choke on hop pellets....

Quick Reply