New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Whirlpool port in my brew kettle and a March pump Q

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Whirlpool port in my brew kettle and a March pump Q

So I have this unused thermometer port in my Morebeer 15 gallon brew kettle. I thought to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be neat to have a whirlpool port so you could recirc your wort to aid in chilling and settling of solids?"

First problem: the inside of the port is not threaded. So I thought I'd use a 1/2" NPT to 1/2" tube adapter and slide the tube all the way through. No-go: there's a shoulder in the way.

5 minutes with a Dremel tool fixed that right up. Here's how I'll be going through the wall of the pot:

Next I soldered that fitting on, plus a second one on the outside for my valve:

I then soldered together the whirlpool arm that will shoot out the wort into the bottom of the pot. I hacksawed a slot in the top fitting to allow it to be clamped in place, since I'll need to slide that on after the through-wall fitting is in place:

Then I just screwed everything together and fit the arm in place:

Hooked everything up and it was time for a test! I love these tri-clamp fittings - since they're not gendered I can just connect them wherever I please. I was one short so I just connected my racking tube to the 'out' port on the March pump.

I threw a handful of rice hulls in so you could see the whirlpool effect in the obligatory video. I think I may solder in a smaller "nozzle" on the whirlpool arm to trade some volume for velocity to get a stronger whirlpool.

[youtube]_J2zxwOfD8c[/youtube]

Now the question: It'd be nice if this setup helps make a nice hop cone so I can get away from hop bags - one fewer thing to clean is always welcome on brewday. Am I going to have issues with the pump picking up solid matter that are going to make me wish I stuck with paint strainers?

Thanks!

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

Used it for the first time today. Really worked well! Check out this nice hop cone I got after just a few minutes of whirlpooling.

-Joe

Old 09-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's cool!

I used a 1/2" X 3/8" reducer to get a higher velocity flow on the one I made. works like a charm.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

How'd the pump look after?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
How'd the pump look after?
Just fine. I ran the hot water from chilling through it when I was done, followed by a star-san rinse.

-Joe

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Personally, I'd lift that whirlpool inlet off the bottom. Since you're pulling off the bottom, I can see the flow going around the bottom, then getting sucked right up the dip tube without really affecting the upper part of the volume much. It would only cost you a few dollars to make a new piece to clamp in there. Granted, I haven't tried mine that low, but mine is a few inches above the bottom and get a nice whirlpool with 20 gallons.

Edit - you can just spin it up a few inches and clamp it that way.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm wanting to hard plumb a whirlpool return port onto my kettle.

Where to place it is the big question.

I have a blichman BK and could potentially use the thermometer port, and just put an inline thermometer probe on the whirlpool circuit.

I guess the REAL question I have is, where is the BEST place to put the port for best trub cone?

To the OP, can you detail what parts you used to build this. Obviously a ball valve, but what else? Hard to tell from the pics.

What size is the hole in your kettle?

Thanks

TD

Old 11-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

subscribed

Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

Me too!

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
ryanhope
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The best place to put the whirlpool outlet about 1/2 between the top of your wort and the bottom pickup. Too high and you run the risk of hot side aeration. Too low your cooling efficiency will drop.

Quick Reply