Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What's the best minifridge to use for a kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
StainlessBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
Most comercially avaliable dorm fridges are going to have the compressor hump that completely kills the ability to throw a 1/2bbl keg in there with no modification.

I cant think of one off hand that would accommodate a 1/2bbl without some sort of destruction.

Then again, if you skip the dorm fridge, add a couple hundred bucks, you can get this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-Keg-...i_sku=11090923
and if you already have a fridge, sell it and put that money towards a used Kegerator off of craigslist. I always see them on there for $250-$350

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
TXPhisher
Recipes 

I'm in the same boat right now and am seriously considering buying a chest freezer and a thermostat to toggle it on and off. My only concern is that doing this may significantly affect the life of the compressor. Any thoughts?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I'm not sure but I think it wouldn't effect anything....maybe be better. Your freezer would have to kick on and off a lot more to keep a temp at 0 degrees in a 75 deg envirnment compared to a 34-40 deg temp in a 75 deg enviro. Price everything you would need to make this setup and how well it would function and then check your local craigslist ads.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

You will not decrease the life of the freezer compressor since i t will be running LESS often than as designed (higher temps). Whereas my situation, with a cold box attached to a dorm fridge will run the compressor MORE often (more volume to keep cool).

BTW, when I first installed my system I had 5 gallons of water dwn to 32 degrees at a fridge setting of 5 (6 being the coldest). Now I have halfbarrel of yuengling, a cornie of HB, and a 5 gallon carboy (for thermal mass) sitting at about 38 degrees, setting at 3 1/2 of 6. Also, I used my kill a watt to estimate that the compresor runs between 10-20 minutes per hour. I have no idea if that is too much but it does run somewhat more than my other, non coldboxed frigidaire. FWIW.

PS: I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing this, and I would be the first one to tell you that my setup is not ideal. However it was the best idea for my particular situation because A. I got the fridge for 75 bucks scratch n dent, B. I wanted the ability to house multiple sizes and numbers of kegs, and C. I wanted to bud it directly into the bar.

If you haven't purchased a fridge yet, and are set in your ways to hold a 1/2 bbl, then a craigslist kegerator is probably your best bet, then keezer, then upright freezer, then dorm fridge with cold box, as far as bang for you buck goes. But you also have to look at the construction aspects and what works best for you.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Last edited by kpr121; 07-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
GatorBru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

anyone have a 2012 list of those that are still in production?

Quick Reply