What would i do... with a vacuum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In true homebrewer nature, I'm racking my brain to come up with ideas on how to incorporate a retired vacuum cleaner into my brewing hobby. I'm mainly thinking about the motor or electrics, and coming up with nothing.

Any suggestions?

Sell it and buy stuff for brewing? Use it to draw a vacuum for siphoning? Or use it to stop the talaban. They always blow s**t up and blame it on the republicans

Could use it to clean up spilt grains?

Turn it on to drown out the wife's yapping?

I'd personally go with the hovercraft.

distill your beer with vacuum distillation and make some ethanol for your car/stomach?
Aerate your wort with it? You'd have to build something around it so it would get a IP of 55 or something so you wouldn't electricute yourself

I like the hovercraft idea but if you really want to use it in brewing, then use it to help clean up AFTER brewing. Vacs are dead useful in sucking up the spent grains in your mash/lauter tun. I use a shop vac myself.

I was reading a post earlyer about airation. You could atach a racking cane to one side of a carboy cap that goes into the wort and use the sucktion from the vacume one the other side to create a flow of air thru the racking cane into to wort.

Make the hovercraft. You could use it during your brew day to transport you around. Less walking, more drinking!

its always a good musical instrument....

phish.jpeg

If you have an exhaust port on the thing, or can reverse the motor wiring, you can use the forced air to prevent boil overs.

You'll need to rig the hose to blow on the surface of the wort. You'll only need this in the first 10-20 minutes of a boil though.

Latest posts

Back