The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What size flex hose for natural gas banjos????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
ArrowheadAles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What size flex hose for natural gas banjos????

Hello,

I just got natural gas ran from my basement out to my garage for my brew stand. I have 1/2 pipe on the brew stand with 3 banjo burners. The pipe coming in from the source is 1/2 as well. However, when I hooked it up the pressure was a little low. Could the size of my flex hose be the problem. Currently have a 1/2 inch on there. Would 5/8 solve this problem???

Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 175

You may need a larger than 1/2" feed pipe from the source to be able to run all 3 burners. I believe 1/2" may only be adequate to run 1 burner at a time, but I will let others with more experience chime in.

I am also exploring using NG instead of propane, and from the discussions I've had, it seems like your lines may be undersized for a full 3 burner setup, if you plan on running more than 1 at a time.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Right, 1/2" bip might not be large enough depending on how far of a run, how many elbows, etc., for your btu draw. There's guides online that help with sizing, I think engineering toolbox is one. If it's the pipe that isn't large enough, going to a larger diameter hose isn't going to make much difference.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd be ripping a strip off the installer: if you informed him what you intended to use it for, and he just threw in 1/2" without even bothering to consult a sizing table.

Out of curiosity how many BTUs is each burner? Are they originally NG burners or were they propane burners that you purchased new orifices for?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
ArrowheadAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They are propane banjos with a natural gas conversion valve from Williams brewing. Not sure how many btus they are. The flame isn't that bad but I could tell they aren't as powerful as my stand alone lp banjo burner.

-Washington Irving

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arrowh...28728700564577

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's understandable, NG provides less BTUs per cubic foot than propane, and it is also at house pressure (typically 7-14" WC (1/4 PSI)) whereas most of the propane burners run at far higher pressures.

Quick Reply