The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What to do with two extra sanke kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Craigslist is your friend... there are all kinds of Kegs listed on the DFW CL. One guy has 3 listed for 75 bucks! It is just too far for me to drive to go get them...
You can't find crap in El Paso for homebrewing on CL. If you do it's usually over priced. I found a sanke keg once, and the guy wanted $100 for it.. Too much! The good thing is, as of yesterday when I bought mine the place that sold it to me said they'd sell me more whenever I want them. So, finally I have a source for them! At $30 ea I'll be getting a couple more soon!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
Tomtanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
Use them as the manufacturer intended...as kegs for serving beer.
Don't think I'll be making 15 gal batches anytime soon.......

Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Use them as fermentors. No need to try to make them into conical. An orange carboy cap and a SS raking cane is all that's required.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randar View Post
use them as fermentors. No need to try to make them into conical. An orange carboy cap and a ss raking cane is all that's required.
+1

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsims21

+1
Ok I think this makes the most sense. I will probably weld together some sort of stand for it so that I can keep it off the ground. Outside of putting it in refrigerator of some kind, is anyone familiar with a temperature control system for a snake fermenter? Also would installing weldless temp gauges hinder the integrity of the fermenter too much?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtanner View Post
Ok I think this makes the most sense. I will probably weld together some sort of stand for it so that I can keep it off the ground. Outside of putting it in refrigerator of some kind, is anyone familiar with a temperature control system for a snake fermenter? Also would installing weldless temp gauges hinder the integrity of the fermenter too much?
I dont like any kind of holes that could leak in my fermenters... maybe i am just paranoid, but a small drip on a brew day means a loss of a couple ounces but a small drip on a fermenter can empty it in a few weeks.

You could always use a long stem theromometer or a remote sensor for an electronic going through the top.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hello friends,

To update I landed not two but three sanke kegs, all in excellent condition. I've decided to use at least one as a fermenter and possibly one as a serving vessel. What about the third one? Also I have seen one sanke conversion product that looks viable, it does not require any cutting....... My concern is cleaning of the fermenter with such a small opening on top and not being able to see inside.....

So to recap my questions. Three kegs what to use them for. (already have three others already converted to hlt mt bk). And if I use one or more as a fermenter what's the best conversion option?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm in the same boat as Stauffbier, I've been looking for another (would be #2 for me) sanke but if I had extra(s) I'd turn at least one of them into a fermenter. I've called around, searched CL, even looked to pay for shipping on Ebay, I just can't find another one anywhere. a Conical would be cool, I've heard of people turning them upside down and cutting a whole in the (top, what would be a the actual bottom). As a fermenter it would be as easy as taking the shaft out and sticking a bung the size of the opening or sealing the opening (keeping the shaft and ball valve in) and cutting a whole the size of a carboy bung and calling it a day.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmbeer
I'm in the same boat as Stauffbier, I've been looking for another (would be #2 for me) sanke but if I had extra(s) I'd turn at least one of them into a fermenter. I've called around, searched CL, even looked to pay for shipping on Ebay, I just can't find another one anywhere. a Conical would be cool, I've heard of people turning them upside down and cutting a whole in the (top, what would be a the actual bottom). As a fermenter it would be as easy as taking the shaft out and sticking a bung the size of the opening or sealing the opening (keeping the shaft and ball valve in) and cutting a whole the size of a carboy bung and calling it a day.
I scoured Craigslist for months trying to find kegs and had to overpay for them ($50). Then I just happened to have a conversation with a guy who sits next to me at work for the past year and he basically just said "I hav a few kegs just sitting around, I'll trade them all to you for free beer" . I really lucked out.

I've seen a few conical sanke conversions out there but they seem to require welding..... I only have a flux co welder and I don't think that is compatible.....

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #20
Daniel82
Recipes 

Last edited by Daniel82; 01-16-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: sorry the dog posted for me

Quick Reply